Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever ever heard this expression?

@Foxxee wrote:

After reading replies, I'm not sure why it's used.  For coins that add up to 25 cents, I'd say 25 cents.

A single coin is a quarter. 

Why make the English language more difficult?

I totally agree!  A quarter is a quarter why addd "case"?.

I'm from NJ, NY & PA...never heard of it.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of it and I cannot even guess as to what it means.

Valued Contributor

I guess we were trying to eliminate the middle man when you ask for a quarter from someone they don't give you 25cents in change.
As I said lot of machines back when I was young only took quarters unlike now you can use even a credit card!.
Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher 

Thanks for the explanation.   As a lover and teacher of language, it's great to learn new words and phrases.

I, too, had never come across the term "case quarter" in speech nor written language.  Quite interesting.  

I have always used and heard "a quarter" for the coin and twenty five cents for the amount, in any combination of coins. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

No, I've never heard of that expression. Born and raised in NOLA.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I never heard of it either and I'm from New York,. California and Arizona.  I have no idea what it could mean.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher wrote:

And if so, What state do you live in?

Today, a friend of mine, used the expression "case quarter."  I had never in my 67 years heard that expression before! Just wondering if it's a common expression where you live? 🤔

@Starpolisher   My Grandmother used to say that.  She was from Dublin, Georgia, which is considered middle Georgia.   I heard my Aunts and Uncles and my Daddy use the term when I was growing up.  I haven't heard it used in a long, long time.  What a sweet memory for me. Heart   I think the younger generation has never heard of it. 

Trusted Contributor

I have never heard that saying either! My Mom always used the word "two bits" which was 25 cents. It always drove me crazy as I never understood it and she would say it all the time! 

Honored Contributor

maryland.....have never heard that expression before.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've heard of "case Quarter" and "hard quarter" where you exchange change that adds up to .25 for a hard or case quarter for the washing machine.

Oh, she was at Aldi's and I think you can only insert a "case Quarter" in the slpt to get a cart.