Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have u changed jobs or resigned recently?

@Kachina624  I would actually never quit a job without already having another new job. The truth is that I most likely will not leave my current job; I like the actual work....I've just had way too much work lately, so I'm just very stressed out I guess. I didn't mean to be over dramatic. I was mainly interested in others' experiences.

Esteemed Contributor

I got laid off in 2014 and never went back. I was sick of corporate America. I just started collecting Social Security and my husband still works. I understand not wanting to work. When you've put up with so much BS in the workplace, politics, favoritism etc you just want to get out. Eventually most of these people will have to return to the mothership. I don't envy them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Have u changed jobs or resigned recently

@Goldengate8361 , I know your pain. Not sure what you do, but if possible, look to see if there are consulting jobs in your field. I used to work for a big company but the job became ridiculous with overwork and nonsense employee evaluation requirements- I left and fell into ( through networking with old friends in my field) consulting work, which is soooo much better. You are considered self-employed and also you have to provide your own health insurance but I cover that in my hourly wage- But its sooo much better!  Just a suggestion! Best wishes 💝

Trusted Contributor

I am retired, but have two part-time jobs.  I recently put in my notice to one of those jobs, so I guess I am part of "the great resignation." 

My son's job sounds like many of yours:  too few people and too much work for those who are still working.  He is very stressed because of the demands.  I don't think bosses understand how difficult it is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Given the "great resignation" that is going on where record numbers of people are quitting their jobs, have you changed jobs? I have not (I'm at my same company), but I am about worked to death! The amount of work I do is way out of proportion to a single job.....so I am thinking about a change...I am so overworked, its crazy. ..I am curious about others...if You are someone in the workforce.

It's like that everywhere. I worked for a huge international corporation for nearly 40 years (several different positions and levels). It's the way it is right now. Nothing will change until the working class is valued again by politicians and businesses.

Be careful what you wish for. And have another job in place before you quit.

Trusted Contributor

I retired a year ago. It was sudden and I never planned on retiring so soon but with Covid, a job I hated, family illness etc. I jumped and never looked back. 

Respected Contributor

I retired in 2019 at 66 yrs old to return to my native state to take care of my mom.  She passed away 6 months later and then Covid hit.  I really enjoyed my retirement; reading books, jigsaw puzzles and visiting family.  However, I am bored, depressed at times now with too much time on my hands. I have applied for relevant jobs from which I retired from.  I haven't had any offers; age discrimination I'm betting.  I will keep applying but I'm not feeling optimistic that something will come through.  

Contributor

In October 2021, 4 of us left our job on the same day. It was a small company and there were 4 of us who weren't family members of the owners. The family members could come and go as they pleased and do what they wanted. The 4 of us were carrying the business and overworked. It was difficult to look for new employment while working. Once we all quit, which was not coordinated, it just happened, we all found new employment within 2 weeks. Much better jobs Much better pay. And, better benefits. There are a lot of companies hiring and quitting gave us the time to look at what was available.  Wishing you luck in your hunt!

Honored Contributor

I made the decision to retire on April 1, I'll be 62.  After losing a dear friend and two siblings in recent years and feeling stressed, over burdened and unheard at work; the way I look at life has changed.  Theres a new management team at work and at my age, I simply dont want to go through all that stress.  I have retirement accounts and savings and hubby works so I don't have to collect my Social Security until my full retirement age and I can get health insurance through hubby's group  plan.  I'm very fortunate to be in my situation.  We hope to find a nice big house in 2022, we put House hunting on hold during the holidays but we'll resume soon.  I'm looking forward to spending more time with the grands and just doing whatever I want to do.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

No.  Definitely the wrong time of year.  Most retail stores don't hire during clearance months.

Retail stores in my area hire year-round, and especially during the last two years.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky