Respected Contributor

Re: Have any of you had your airbags replaced on your car?

I have, but ask me if I trust the air bags they replaced them with - absolutely not!  They wouldn't tell me if they were also Takata airbags.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I got mine replaced and it was a hassle.  

Air bags are not guaranteed to open, either from a factory install or recall.  

These manufacturers need to get their act together.  I do not like recalls.

Valued Contributor

My Camry isn't on the Takata recall list, but my mom's Corolla was.  A couple of years ago, Dad took it to the dealer for its scheduled service and they said, we have replacement airbags, so we'll take of that while you're here.

Takata filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy (reorganization) as opposed to Chapter 7 (liquidation).  Takata is selling off the majority of its operations (ie, the buyer is not assuming Takata's liabilities). 

The consumer reporter for NBC in DC said bankruptcy doesn't get Takata off the hook for lawsuits or replacements ...

money.cnn.com/2017/06/25/news/companies/takata-bankruptcy/index.html

www.cnbc.com/2017/06/25/takata-files-for-us-chapter-11-bankruptcy-in-delaware-expected-to-file-in-ja...

Respected Contributor

I've been driving my 2014 Mustang for three years with that original airbag in it.  I didn't even get the final notice saying they had them in stock at my dealership until this last spring.  I've been putting it off because I have so many other things going on this summer, and they said in the letter it would take hours to replace (I'd have to take off work and wait).  Has anyone waited while theirs was replaced?  How long did it take?

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

My Honda CRV was recalled twice, both times with a long waiting period for replacements.  But I had driven the car for at least 8 years with "faulty" airbags so waiting wasn't a problem.  And when I was called in when dealershop had the new airbags, it really wasn't a long procedure.  I have no idea what airbags are in my GM car.

Regular Contributor

Yes. I had 3 separate recalls in 2 years for airbags on my 2004 Toyota Matrix. Had them all done. It's a pain in the butt to sit and wait, but a necessary one.

With Takata declaring bankruptcy, you should have it done ASAP because there may be issues getting the parts later on.

This is a safety issue, so don't ignore recalls! 

Valued Contributor

I was in a head on accident earlier this year and both of my airbags deployed (thankfully).  I never gave much thought to airbags prior to that.  But they are high on my list of important things now.  So, I think I would make the effort to ensure I had a (hopefully) working air bag.  I certainly did not expect to be in my first accident after 40 some years of driving.  And very glad for the airbags.

Honored Contributor

yes, our  lexus is on the recall list. we received paperwork about a year or more ago, but have been unable to get them replaced yet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My 2009 vehicle was never on the recall list. We took it to our dealership last summer and asked about it. They told us that if the airbag light hasn't come on then don't worry about it. We just received a notice that my car is on a recall now so we'll be scheduling an appt soon.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

both our cars were on recall list.

had to bring our cars back not once or twice but 3 times to complete the replacement. this was over a period of several months. we had to drop car off the night before appointment then pick up the day after appointment. this was a real hassle.

we got notice right when the air bag mess began, so replacement had to be done in stages because the replacment parts did not all come in at once.