Honored Contributor

Re: Have a dilemma - need advice.

I don't know where you live but where I live (SW Fl) $75/week is a tremendous amount of money already - without having to pay the additional $30. You need to have a talk with your housekeeper. Now if the girl was willing to do extra work - say washing windows - pulling weeds - cleaning the lanai screens that would be different. 

I pay $85 every 2 weeks to my cleaning lady  and in the summer I get either her or her daughter, and the daughter does as good a job as her Mom so that is fine with me.

Respected Contributor

You are the client. This is a business. Pull mom aside and apologize for setting a precedence but that this wasn't really discussed as an arrangement for the summer.

It is very obvious that this is being set up as her kid'so summer job as she is not a child who needs watching nor should your cleaner think it's okay to bring others to your house. . Tell her youre budgeted for 75 and that is all you  will pay. If YOU are OK with the kids hanging out at your house tell her that as well.

Honored Contributor

My cleaning person started bringing her cousin with her about six months ago.  The price didn't change.  They just get through quicker.  I would definitely quit paying the daughter.  I understand why you started paying her, but you really never should have.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I have a housekeeper and we agreed on a price when she first started coming to clean for me. Five years is how long she has been coming. She brings a woman with her to help and I don't pay any extra I just pay the original amount we agreed on. Now I do tip my housekeeper above the agreed price in cash. I feel no obligation regarding the other cleaner as that is up to my housekeeper if she does it herself or brings in help. I would just very nicely discuss this with your housekeeper and let her know that you feel like you should only pay the agreed upon price and that you have no problem with her bringing her daughter to help her out if she wants to but that you will just be paying the original agreed upon price. I have no doubt that the daughter is coming regulary now because she thinks it is a quick way to earn some money but you did not ask her to come help and certainly did not say you would pay additional money every week for her to do so.

Respected Contributor

Ouch.   I understand the predicament you are experiencing.  Sometimes through kindness I get myself in similar situations.   But honesty is the best policy.  Appears the child is helping her mother with getting the job done faster, therefore the child should be compensated by her mother.  You need to address this with your housekeeper.  And honestly, I have to say, that since you have built a relationship with her, I would feel kind of put out that she didn't step forward and tell you paying her daughter isn't necessary.

Honored Contributor

I'd probably figure that if $75 was the deal made for the specific scope of work and the work done is not beyond that scope, then the original $75 is what is due.

Unfortunately, unless you want to keep paying more for the same work, you will have to speak to the cleaning lady and tell her that you cannot continue paying more than that upon which was originally agreed.

Respected Contributor

As usual some excellent advice for an awkward situation. 

Simply and definitively say I can only pay $75 weekly, regardless of wether daughter shows up with mom.

Offer a good recommendation.

Esteemed Contributor

I never would've paid the daughter. I see it the same as when I hire a contractor, it's up to him/her to pay the help they bring. 

Honored Contributor

Well, all in all, many of us have learned something here.  If a gardener, housekeeper, helper, etc., etc. brings along a relative or friend to help, do not pay the extra person.  (Unless we have tons of money and we like to give it away.) Thank you for this thread.  Sometimes we are 'caught off-guard', and do things that we maybe shouldn't have done.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector, your cleaner would rather get $75 a week than lose her job.  I would just leave the $75 and say nothing.  If the daughter doesn't like that, she can stop coming.  LM