Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have a dilemma - need advice.

@missy1 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I'd just clean my own house then I wouldn't have a dilemma to straighten out. 

Some people do need help.

I would have to clean , before a maid comes.Woman LOL

I would not want someone cleaning my house. 

Yes, some people do need help and some just want it. Either way it is ok and also helping out someone else. I started hiring someone because I was working about 14 hrs a day and just didn't feel like cleaning my house on the weekends or days off. I wanted to enjoy my free time. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I agree, you started a precedent and should talk to the Mom about it.  Please don't just stop paying the daughter without explaining to the Mom what happened....  it'll be okay, just be honest and upfront about it. 

@Q4u .. I agree.. I can't just stop paying without giving an explanation. 

Like others here have said  @Boehm Collector you do not owe an explanation since this was your original agreement in the first place, however if you want to give one I would simply tell her that when her daughter started coming it was more infrequently and just every once in a while but now it has increased quite a bit to almost weekly (if I am reading that correctly) you can say it either isn't in your budget or you just are not prepared to pay that any longer. 

I do agree with those posters who said that I think the mom should have spoken up the first time you tried to pay her daughter an additional $30. I think she should have said well we had a price agreement so lets stick to that especially considering she would be finishing early with the extra help. That frees her up to do another house. However if she would have said that and you still wanted to give her daughter a little extra, then that is a different story.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@ECBG @NYC Susan @occasionalrain @NickNack @tsavorite @Group 5 minus 1 @Jewell22 @Trudey @blueroses47@on the bay @Yardlie@ @Blue Ocean @qualitygal @freakygirl @151949 @LizzieInSRQ @Kitlynn @Allegheny @chickenbutt@IMW @qvcfreak @ROMARY @Lilysmom @chrystaltree @missy2 @libbyannE @MsLomo @henderson @Q4u @KathyM23@Lucky Charm @KathyPet @ID2 @Drythe @SisterGoldenHair @GCR18 @Newgate @homedecor1 @itiswhatitis@ @Daisy @Hoovermom@ @Vivian Florimend.... and any one I might have missed.

I had "the" conversation with my cleaning woman.  I was really nervous about it because I am not the least bit confrontational.  But it went much better than I ever could have anticipated.  I only got a few words out of my mouth when she told me that I absolutely should not be paying her daughter.  She was actually a bit upset with her daughter for taking the money.  She said she brings her daughter to several houses but I am the only one who pays her.  She said that it is her responsibility, not mine,  to pay her daughter for helping out.  She said that I am always so good to her and her family.  I told her I would continue to give the girl some money if she comes every couple of months but I cannot do it on a weekly basis.  She doesn't even want me to do that ...... but I will.  

I am glad it went well @Boehm Collector, however I think it was up to the mother to pull her daughter aside and have a word with her when you first gave her daugther $30. You had the contract with HER, not her daughter and she should have thanked you and said thank you for being so generous but you and I had a contract for this amount so Mary cannot accept that. I think she put you in a bad situation by not speaking up. I don't think she did it because she is a bad person or anything like that, she probably felt uncomfortable too and was caught off guard.

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I don't know where you live but where I live (SW Fl) $75/week is a tremendous amount of money already - without having to pay the additional $30. You need to have a talk with your housekeeper. Now if the girl was willing to do extra work - say washing windows - pulling weeds - cleaning the lanai screens that would be different. 

I pay $85 every 2 weeks to my cleaning lady  and in the summer I get either her or her daughter, and the daughter does as good a job as her Mom so that is fine with me.

I do agree that it depends on where you live, the size of your house, number of pets,etc... but $75 a week is not really a tremendous amount to pay at all @151949. The average price for a single story 1300 sq ft home is between $80-$150. 

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NycVixen wrote:

@Boehm Collector . Hi ... I think that you may be tagging me on posts but I'm not getting them. I just happened to read a really old post on Stevie's thread and I was tagged by you but I didn't receive any notification. I also sent emails. 

I hope everything is ok.

Hi @NycVixen ....  I have been feeling guilty for the longest time.... I REALLY need to reply to your emails.  But things have been insane.  Will write as soon as I have sufficient time to dedicate to a response.  I have been thinking about you a lot!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I don't know where you live but where I live (SW Fl) $75/week is a tremendous amount of money already - without having to pay the additional $30. You need to have a talk with your housekeeper. Now if the girl was willing to do extra work - say washing windows - pulling weeds - cleaning the lanai screens that would be different. 

I pay $85 every 2 weeks to my cleaning lady  and in the summer I get either her or her daughter, and the daughter does as good a job as her Mom so that is fine with me.

I do agree that it depends on where you live, the size of your house, number of pets,etc... but $75 a week is not really a tremendous amount to pay at all @151949. The average price for a single story 1300 sq ft home is between $80-$150. 

I paid $75/week many years ago, and didn't consider it "a tremendous amount" even back then.  Now it sounds extremely low.  I don't know anyone who pays less than $100.

Re this topic, though, I don't think the dollar amount matters.  Whether the agreed-upon amount was $20 or $2000, that's the only amount the OP should have to pay.  And whether or not she could afford more is irrelevant.

I'm glad this situation had a good resolution.  :-)

Respected Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

@Boehm Collector . Hi ... I think that you may be tagging me on posts but I'm not getting them. I just happened to read a really old post on Stevie's thread and I was tagged by you but I didn't receive any notification. I also sent emails. 

I hope everything is ok.

Hi @NycVixen ....  I have been feeling guilty for the longest time.... I REALLY need to reply to your emails.  But things have been insane.  Will write as soon as I have sufficient time to dedicate to a response.  I have been thinking about you a lot!!

It's ok @Boehm Collector. I don't want you to feel bad. It's been such a long time and you replied here so a response to my emails is not really necessary. I just wanted to know you were ok. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

I understand your reluctance to say anything, but you must.  You are the employer.  I would just talk to the housekeeper and let her know that you know that you started paying the daughter, but you thought it would only be an occasional thing.  Tell her that $75 is all that you are willing to pay from this point forward.  It appears that the daughter (and mother) has come to expect the money and will be there every week during the summer if you don't stop it now.

Agreed.  As the employer, the OP needs to be nice but firm and use her backbone.

Respected Contributor

I would never have paid the daughter to start with.  If she wanted to help her mom that is sweet.  If daughter had asked to do additional jobs and be paid for it you could have decided if it was worth it to you and made an agreement with the daughter.  Now it is awkward. 

Honored Contributor

My cleaning lady also started bringing her daughter with her to help clean....also unannounced. It never dawned on me to pay the daughter, but I do like that they are finished a lot faster.