Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Visited Houses Where You Once Lived?

In my adult life I have moved 3 times.  Each time it was a necessity not because I no longer like living in that house.  I never had a desire to go back as I think it would make me sad.  Having sad that I did look up my previous houses on zillow.  Only one had pictures and it looked very different. 

Respected Contributor

My husband and I would drive around our childhood neighborhoods.  We grew up a block from one another.  Both of our childhood homes look a bit rundown and old.  I have wonderful memories but I don't want to there anymore, it saddens me.

Respected Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

Yes, many, many times.  My mom still lives in the house me and my sibs grew up in. Our family moved into that house in 1968 after my dad got out of the Navy.  Large pond across the street all the neighborhood kids would go swimming in.  Mom is 96 and frail. She doesn't want to move to a nursing home. This house is what she knows and is comfortable in.  My brothers have made some improvements to the house, but much of the decor remains the same.  When I got married we lived in 4 houses in different towns.  I like to drive past them when we drive down to visit mom. Haven't been inside any of them. But the outsides still look just the same.

@Rockycoast   My Mom still lives in our family home. They moved to the street in 1957 when she was 26 and then moved next door in 1960.  The decor is the same, knotty pine kitchen and LR.  the kitchen counter the same early Formica with metal edging.  She loves her home and was happy to stay put.  on the other hand, i had the wanderlust, have moved nearly a dozen times in my life.

Respected Contributor

i've driven by many of the houses i've lived in. one nearby, we were the 2nd owners, house was just a few years old when we moved in to the quiet cul-de-sac.

last year i noticed construction - they were adding second entry and extension to make a duplex.  i asked the builder if i could look around by the original concrete unit front entry which had been removed. my vintage 50's jeweled clip on earring had slipped off my ear one day in 1986 and fell through a gap by the threshold. yea it sounds nuts - he obviously thought i was a fruit loop.  he wasnt pleasant. He just said NO.

Honored Contributor

I ve done a Drive By out of curiosity!!!!

Valued Contributor

I went to an open house of the home I grew up in.  Had to park down the block by the house of one of my friends from childhood. As I was walking to the open house I was thinking of all the times I walked that sidewalk to and from my friends house, and vice versa for him. It was a bittersweet memory. Then I walked in the house and I felt like I was 10 years old again. Not much had been changed at all. The kitchen cabinets had been painted white (they were an antique looking green when I lived there), and they added some cabinets in the utility/laundry room. When I was little, I remember thinking the hallway was so long from the LR to my bedroom. I am still amazed that my parents raised 4 kids in that house! 

cookin

Valued Contributor

I visited the house where my grandparents lived in Wichita, and what was shocking to me was both how familiar it was (I last saw it when I was 16 and I'm in my 70's now) and how small it was.

Honored Contributor

I had the pleasure of being able to buy my grandparents house and live in it for over 4 years.  I loved every second of it.  Dreamed about it for decades even after I sold it.  I had such happy memories there.

I'm so corny, but I look up the addresses that I see on the US Census forms from 1900 to 1940 that lots of my family lived in up in New England.  If I'm lucky enough, pictures from MLS show the interiors and even though many homes have been updated, I can still see the *bones* of the houses.  

Honored Contributor

No, but my childhood home is fairly often featured in my dreams.

My other house I lived in for just 3 years.

Honored Contributor

The house where I grew up no longer exists.  The local hospital expanded in the early 1960s  and bought up about half the houses on two streets.

The 2 houses that I owned are in CA and I'm in NY - I occasionally go on Zillow and check out the houses.

Just looked at one that I owned in the 1970s .... shocked at the asking price!