Valued Contributor

Re: Have You Visited Houses Where You Once Lived?

One of our 2 houses had a fire years after we moved from my "home" town and that corner is now an office bldg. The other house is still there and looks good. The giant Douglas fir I used to build a fort under is still in the back yard, maybe even taller. Most all of the houses in that area still look fine or even better since it's now considered a historic district and before Covid, the Historical Society would have tours through there in the summer. 

My visits are not in person, however. I check in via Google street view every so often and read the city paper occasionally online.  And decades later, I still have dreams set in the house with the giant Douglas fir.

Esteemed Contributor

(thread title)

@ECBG 

Nope! The Public Housing Projects where I was born, were torn down many years ago. Too many shootings and other major crimes.

Only 1 of the 2 houses I lived in is still standing. The other is in 1 of the most blighted areas in our city. Most are boarded up and rotting away.

Even the apartment I lived in for 6 years, got burned to the ground. I told my story a couple times about the fires in that building.

I have driven by the 2 townhomes we lived in, but I have no idea who is now living in them.

Nothing I miss or care to see of the still standing, single family home, I once lived in.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My favorite house I lived in was on the bay in Tampa. Would love to revisit that childhood home that contains  many pleasant memories of exploring the water's edge.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn   As I read your post, I thought of the phoenix raising from the ashes.

Valued Contributor

They houses are too  far away..Friends of the family bought out last house..they've sent us pic of updated they have done..

My kids drive by the couple of houses that we had..they take a pic of the outside..Most still look pretty much the same.

Valued Contributor

Yes , a drive by only .Someday , I will stop and ask for an inside visit . My sister and I buried a time capsule in the yard , before we sold the house , after my parents passed  . ( My family were the only owners of the house . ) We included pictures of our family , the house , and information on both . We also asked if the capsule is found ,  feel free to add to it ; but please return it to the ground , for future owners to enjoy .

Valued Contributor

An addition to my previous post .

One day , I got a knock at my door where I live now .  There stood a grown man . He said his family were  the original owners of this house . We asked him to come in and see the changes we made . He took us through the history of his family ,  and the home . 

He was thrilled to explain ; and we were thrilled to listen .

Respected Contributor

@speedy girl wrote:

I do drive by the house that I grew up in often. Since I live in the same town it's something I love to do. There were so many great memories there that it gives me great pleasure to drive by and keep my memories alive. 

I do that as well.  In fact I bought the house I lived at the age of 10 until I left home.  I purchased from my mom before she passed away.  We fixed it up and changed things but siblings says it still feels like home.  

Seveal people on this block came back to the old neighborhood but in a different house.  My daughter bought the house next door to us and we are having a great time.

When I take a walk around and especially at the park lots of great memories come back.  

Honored Contributor

Yes.  I have visited my childhood house many times.  Even talked to the various owners each time I visit. 

My last visit pre COVID.  All my old neighbors have either died out or moved.  I only keep in touch w/2 of them (who have moved out & on.)

I went on MAPS, took a screen shot of my old homestead & turned it into a dektop pic.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@ECBG   What is a "DD?"  And why did you only live there for 3 yrs if the home was custom built?

"the home DD built when I was 3 years old"

"I lived there until I was 6 years old."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif