Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone used TurboTax?

My 31 year old son used the free Turbo Tax and as he is a part time worker, got a huge return (50% of what he earned). My son and my husband thought that it must be wrong but I knew better (took a tax prep class 15 years ago); this was like a gift!

Respected Contributor

I use Turbo Tax. I buy it at Target for $50 and got a $5 Target gift card, It has a disc if you want to use your PC as well as an option to use one of your mobile devices. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can find both Turbo Tax and the H&R Block tax software on Amazon.com.  You can buy disks, but you can also just buy the download.  You buy the download version and then you directly download the program onto your computer -- Mac or PC.  No dealing with disks with that option.  Also, it may help you to read the reviews for the different software options and see what users have to say.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I've used it for years.  Never any problem.

Regular Contributor

I forgot to add to my post above that you should check out turbotax.com and hrblock.com.  With both companies you can buy an online option.  You can also buy the download version from both websites.  I think the added benefit from buying directly from the websites is that it is easier to get help from the respective companies with both technical and tax questions.  Again -- good luck!

Respected Contributor

Keep in mind Tax Filing season has been pushed back to July 15th because of the crisis.

Respected Contributor

I use TurboTax every year.   Before filing it I print off a paper copy and thoroughly go over it.  Then cross my fingers and send it off.  So far so good. 

Trusted Contributor

@Justholdingon wrote:

I just went to the IRS website and I don't qualify for free tax filing. 
I guess the Turbo Tax free filing is only for form 1040 also, not state. 

Check out your state's department of revenue website.  They may offer free filing.

I used Turbotax for several years.  I recall that last year it was reported that Turbotax had charged many filers that really did qualify for free filing.

The program is not real flexible when it comes to state filing.  My state has a reciprocal agreement with neighboring states and Turbotax just could not be used to do that. Several years I paid to file state also and ended up going to the state's website instead, and never bothered trying to get them to refund me.  

I tried it this year, even called them, they couldn't get around it.  Used e-file separately for federal and state this year and it was so much easier for my situation.

Super Contributor

Ive used Turbo Tax for at least 20 years and never had a problem they couldnt fix.  

Honored Contributor

NO!  I use a CPA who is very thorough in his tax preparation for us.

FYI:  Tax filing has been extended to July 15.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~