Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone had their DNA tested?

If I could use a fake name I would.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not.  You must realize that Google will eventually buy one or more of these DNA services, thus adding to its already substantial database.  Recently, as an example, Google bought FitBit and Nest.

Honored Contributor

I haven't but not for those reasons.  I just don't trust those for profit companies.  I don't know who is doing the testing, I don't what their education or experience is, I don't know what protocols they use.  For all I know they could be making it up as they go along.  There was actually a story on local tv some years ago after those companies started.  Identical twins specimens to two different for profit DNA companies and got different results.  

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ 

I agree with that.  Also, I am not my DNA.  There's nothing in a DNA profile that would mean anything to me or have any impact on who I am.

Respected Contributor

I did mine on Ancestry and it has been very interesting. I found a 3rd cousin, and looked her up on facebook and she was friends with  a woman that I grew up in the neighborhood with. Turns out, they are cousins and we used to play together as children. Turns out her father was adopted at a young age and we never knew that were were related. She did not try to find her ancestors until after her father died. Her father was a cousin to my dad. I am sure if my dad knew he had an adopted cousin that he would not have kept that a secret, so I am 99% sure that he did not know about his cousin. 

My sister works with a man who did his DNA and found out that his "father" was not his father. His mothers former boss is his father. Unfortunately, he did not feel comfortable asking his mother about it before she died. 

Trusted Contributor

I took the Ancestry test. My daughter and son-in-law gave it to me for a birthday present and I'd given them the tests for Christmas. Popular presents now.

It took me almost a whole afternoon to gather enough saliva for the tube. Couldn't believe how time consuming that was!

The results were interesting to me. My ancestry findings were 80% Irish -- which was expected. I'm also 20% Scandinavian which supported all the many people who thought I was Swedish throughout my life. My grandparents' families were from S and N Ireland along the coast. I guess there were some Viking raiders in the distant past........

As for the great results for law enforcement using the new DNA databases personally I'm not worried. I never planned on a career as a serial killer so I guess I'm OK with that new crime solving tehcnique. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband and I did ours for our 30th wedding anniversary.  For years he said his mom always told them they had Native American in them.. Results being: he wasn't and I found out that I'm multi cultural.  Have found my 11th great-grandfather,  and one of my great-grandfathers (paternal) that left England and came to Virginia.. Very interesting-  plus I finally saw a picture of my maternal great grandparents. 

I am not in anyway worried about our DNA, we didn't plan careers as serial killers either so not concerned.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did through 23 and me.  Was not too impressed as I could only get my Mother's lineage  DNA and not my a Fathers side. This explains it. I have no brothers and My father is dead.

23andMe uses the same genotyping technology for both women and men, and everyone receives information based on the DNA they inherited from both parents. Ancestry-related features, such as the Ancestry Composition report and the DNA Relatives feature, include DNA you inherited from recent ancestors on both sides of your family, and these results are available to both women and men.

The paternal assignment in the Paternal Haplogroup report, however, uses DNA that is only inherited by males. Since this haplogroup assignment is traced through the Y-chromosome DNA, which women do not inherit, the assignment is only available for males

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I saw on the news yesterday that this man had his 2 adult sons tested for some sort of celebration he was planning.  Well, to make a long story short......

Neither sons were his.  The sons father is his ex-wife's boss/lover.

Ex-wify stated she was shocked.  She never realized until the test was done.

No comment from wify's boss/lover.

That's just terrible....I feel for those boys/sons and their "father" who raised them and hope that relationship isn't ruined now.

Valued Contributor

Yes I've done a DNA test for ancestry genealogy, very interesting although I don't know that I believe what I see, LOL. But something interesting happened in the town I live in. There was a cold case murder of a teacher in the 1970s, just last year they found out who her killer was through DNA genealogy. A match came up From someone on the other side of the country and when checked further his cousin live right here in town. Thank goodness the young woman's murderer was finally caught