Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone had their DNA tested?

I did Ancestry and was less than impressed my brother did 23 and me and well he found out that my GG had a brother who did not leave Russia, so I have cousins I did not know existed

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@lrmuffin wrote:

I am leery of these companies too.

A few routine blood tests would cost more than the intricate genetic testing they are performing.

How are they making a profit ?

My daughter did 23&Me and I couldn't see any benefit whatsoever in what she found out.  I think she enjoyed parsing out the family tree so I'm happy for her. 

Also, I am very leery about the info they transmit.  Some of it is valid and documented but some health projections and predictions are suspect, IMO.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, had mine tested and I was thrilled...especially since I was adopted. I found out I'm:

38% - English/Welsh

22% - Eastern European/Russian (Polish/Romanian/Hungarian/Slovakian)

19% - Scottish/Irish

The other 21% is a mix of German, Norwegian, Swedish, and areas in the Baltic States

Esteemed Contributor

My son sent his dog's dna to be tested, and paid for it. The company said it was lost in the mail and they won't  refund the money...HOAX! It states in fine print that if it's lost so is your money. 

Honored Contributor

@Miss Shelly wrote:

Someone I know found out she is not her father's daughter and her mother had a secret.  Both parents are deceased and we had a laugh.  

LOL  At least you can laugh about it!

Honored Contributor

I have ZERO desire to find out about relatives I don't know about.  I know where I came from, Arkansas.  I know who raised me and loved me.  

So that's all I need or even want to know. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have.  I find it interesting.  I don't do the family tree or make contact.  I found out I am 91% England, 6% Germanic,  3% Scot and Irish.

Honored Contributor

Nope

ever hear about Pandora?

I read Dear Abby et al

every week a letter on this, 

found out unknown relative, or parent not a parent

only do it it if you think through before , what your steps would be 

Respected Contributor

Yes I did Ancestry and located family members I did not know about.

As a result found out my fifth great grandfather fought in the Revolutionary War and now I am a member of DAR.

Respected Contributor

I already knew what countries my ancestors came from but the percentages were interesting with combining parent's backgrounds. I also had a 4% and 5% of countries that were a surprise. I question being able to detect future health issues with some companies.Surprisingly people have had their rescued/adopted dogs done that I have met at the Dog Park. I am not that curious about mine.

Last year Ancestry had a Holiday Special price. I needed to call for assistance as my residence kept saying  Canada instead of US. They were helpful and straightered it out. It took a month to get the results.