Trusted Contributor

Has anyone had their DNA tested?

I am interested but am slightly afraid of what can happen to my DNA for future use by insurance companies, or unscrupulous uses of it. I hear some people have found lost relatives, which would be nice. I am on the fence about whether to do it or not.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone had their DNA tested?

[ Edited ]

I hear you!  I have similar concerns about the possibilities - both known and unknown about future options.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Regular Contributor

Someone I know found out she is not her father's daughter and her mother had a secret.  Both parents are deceased and we had a laugh.  

Trusted Contributor

I am leery of these companies too.

A few routine blood tests would cost more than the intricate genetic testing they are performing.

How are they making a profit ?

Esteemed Contributor

I did mine through Ancestry for genealogy purposes, no health info.  You can choose to share or not share your data.  I chose to make my report visible to other DNA matches (lots of cousins out there) but not to be used for scientific research.  

Respected Contributor

I also know someone who took a dna test along with her two sisters and the test revealed her two sisters were actually half sisters.  She then found out her dad wasn’t her biological father.  She was in her early 50s when she found out and had no clue up until then. 

Esteemed Contributor

Nope. I have zero interest in complicating my life any more than it already is. I know all I need to know about my parents & my background.I will not poke that bear!!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I gave DH a kit last Christmas and it was a huge hit, so much that both sons, DIL, and me will all get kits for Christmas.  I don't have any issues with what use is made of my sample; several serial murderers were caught as a result of DNA matches.

Honored Contributor

I saw on the news yesterday that this man had his 2 adult sons tested for some sort of celebration he was planning.  Well, to make a long story short......

Neither sons were his.  The sons father is his ex-wife's boss/lover.

Ex-wify stated she was shocked.  She never realized until the test was done.

No comment from wify's boss/lover.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Nope. I have zero interest in complicating my life any more than it already is. I know all I need to know about my parents & my background.I will not poke that bear!!

My thoughts exactly! The DNA collection and handling outside of law enforcement purposes is not properly regulated. It is a lucrative business, and personal information is sometimes gathered unbeknownst to the person taking the test. Just do some research. You will be surprised by what you read. I know there are legitimate reasons for these tests, and companies that provide them, but some companies are using results for nefarious purposes.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖