Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone bought white vinegar lately?

@Shanus Price. I buy white vinegar by the gallon. Don't think I have ever seen apple cider by the gallon.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Super Contributor

Like others, always have jugs of white vinegar on hand. And, it has increased in price to almost double over the last several years. However, still getting a nice bang for my bucks with how much I use it.

Uses....

In washer instead of fabric softener

Spray post-shower on the wet surfaces

Concoct weed killer with salt and dish soap

Spray on new fabric (recliner & mattress) to help off-gassing odors that drive me crazy

Respected Contributor

I just looked at Sams club, 2 gallons of white vinegar are 5.99, seems pretty cheap to me? The apple cider vinegar is 16.98 for 1 gallon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I buy a gallon of white vinegar every 3 months, and the price is staying high.  This simple product has gained popularity as the cheap alternative to higher priced household cleaners.  

White vinegar is great in the laundry, you can boil it on the stove or heat in the microwave to kill food odors, it cleans windows, it disinfects surfaces, etc.  

@Shanus 

Yes, you can use apple cider vinegar in place of white vinegar for everything listed above.  However, apple cider vinegar is most popular in the kitchen for adding flavor since it is made from apples, whereas the higher acidity in white vinegar makes a strong pickling brine as well as cleaning agent.  

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Every thing i buy,has just increased in price,really  out of hand.

@goldensrbest It's inflation.  It will affect everything.  I am old and have seen it before--it is hardest on those on fixed income.  

Cars used to be $2,000. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest It's inflation.  It will affect everything.  I am old and have seen it before--it is hardest on those on fixed income.  

Cars used to be $2,000. 

Haha!  ...and the two story,4 bedroom colonial house my parents bought in 1965 was 21k.  It's the price of a moderate car!

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Cars used to be $2,000. 

Haha!  ...and the two story,4 bedroom colonial house my parents bought in 1965 was 21k.  It's the price of a moderate car!

@haddon9 Wow where I lived that was a mansion!  Those were the days back when people didn't have as much "stuff" as we have now either.  Things were for the time, probably more expensive than now in some instances.  Things well built that lasted.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Cars used to be $2,000. 

@haddon9 Wow where I lived that was a mansion!  Those were the days back when people didn't have as much "stuff" as we have now either.  Things were for the time, probably more expensive than now in some instances.  Things well built that lasted.

@SoonerThe house is almost 60 years old, and still standing!  It was in NJ so it was pricey back then too.

Honored Contributor

I bought a gallon last week.  I just looked at my receipt.  I paid $3.

I don't remember how much it was the last time I bought it.  It will last me a few months.  

I also use vinegar when cooking hard boiled eggs.  If the shell cracks, the white will not spread out and vinegar helps the shells peel easier.

Honored Contributor

I use a splash of apple cider vinegar in my final hair rinse-out.

In a plastic tub......

I have long hair, and cannot shampoo my hair in the shower.  It becomes all tangled, and then the shampoo gets into my eyes, then I cannot see, which could be dangerous (for me).

So shampooing and sudsing via a plastic tub in the basin works best for me. Rinse until clear water, then add a splash of apple cider vinegar.

Nice, smooth, clean hair.....ready to towel dry, and later a hint of a blow dryer. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).