Honored Contributor

Has anyone been to S. Dakota lately?

I just wonder about the progress of Crazy Horse statue in the mountain?  I know Mt. Rushmore is different now too, from when we went, back in the stone age. 80's I guess it was. Early to mid-80's I think it was.  We tossed around the idea of going to see the progress for a nice visit possibly next year.  That's up in the air for now.

Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone been to S. Dakota lately?

@qualitygal 

DH visited South Dakota recenty on a business trip.  He spent the night in WALL, SD. 

He enjoyed touring The Wall Drugstore that offers free ice water and 5 cent coffee!   

Wall Drugstore has a website for more information.   

Please do visit our group on the  QVC  TRAVEL Forum!    

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal  Crazy Horse has not progressed very much.  In the last three years, we have not seen any change.  Prior to that, which had been about 5 additional years, there had been almost no progress.  Using only donations and fees, it will indeed, take forever.  At least, I am convinced of that.

They do have a movie that's shown in the beautiful tourist building located on the property.  They also have bus tours that take you up to the 'rock' itself.

I really don't remember what it looked like in the early 90's, sorry.

As you know, there are many things to see and do in Rapid City, but if your main reason for your trip is Crazy Horse -- I would suggest another city/state - mo.

In terms of Rapid City itself, there have been many changes since the 80's and it is still a big tourist destination each summer.

Just don't come during the Motorcycle Rally - 2nd week of August - it is crazy (without the horse) - ha.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Agree about Crazy Horse but love Wall Drug, Mitchell S.D.Corn Palace and Sturgis (none of my family rides Harleys) it is fun, safe and Americans at its finest.

Honored Contributor

Heres a live cam so you can see for yourself. 

https://crazyhorsememorial.org/live-webcams.html

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Thank you responders.  I'll have to check out that Wall Drug.  Don't know about that.

Valued Contributor

It's been several years but we found South Dakota absolutely incredible.  Mount Rushmore in the evening was incredible.  When we there , just a short distance from Mt. Rushmore was an amazing animal park.  I hope I can get back to this beautiful state one day.

Valued Contributor

I live in SoDak and the CrazyHorse monument is a very slow work in progress. Like 3suwm5 said, it is done with fees & donations. They usually report on the news when something more has been done to it, but I don't remember seeing anything lately. I have not been out to the area for 3-4 years now (I live on the other side of the state). One of out local tv stations was broadcasting from the monument last week. It was fun to see it close up like that. They do have a bi-annual walk in the spring where you can walk up the mountain to the memorial. It is called the Volksmarch.

If you do come to SoDak, I hope you enjoy your stay! The Black Hills is a very fun spot to vacation. I love the little tourist towns and all the shops. Especially the ones who only have a shop in the summer and have their pets hanging out in the shops.

cookin