Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Had This Happen To Them With A Credit Card?

[ Edited ]

@cuddlesmama wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have never gotten a bill from PayPal period.  Maybe OP means the credit card associated with their PayPal account.

I don't do paperless billing.

@cuddlesmama I don't do paperless billing either, but I have never received a bill from Paypal.  If I buy something using Paypal, I pay immediately with the CC associated with my account.  The bill that comes to me is from the CC company, not Paypal.  The only other option would be to have Paypal deduct the amount directly from my bank account associated with my Paypal account, and I never do that.  I have never seen an option to have Paypal bill me.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess There is a PayPal credit card.  It's unclear whether OP has one or not. 

@cuddlesmama There should be a customer service number on the statement that you received (whether it's a PayPal credit card or some other type).  You should call that number immediately, have your account frozen and get a replacement card.   

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama  Just last week I received an email that someone was trying to use my Paypal account. But the email asked me to "verify [my] information", so I doubted the email.I haven't used Paypal for almost 7 years, and have had 3-4 different credit card numbers since then.

However, I immediately called Paypal and closed my account. The CS rep at Paypal closed my account while we were on the phone. No more Paypal for me.

Honored Contributor

@Calgal2too wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

A paper bill? I have never gotten a paper bill from PP. 

Maybe this person doesn't do paperless billing/statements.  I do paperless EVERYTHING, given the choice.

@Calgal2too  you have a choice of paperless billing or having the bill mailed to you.  I chose to have the bill mailed and pay by check,

Esteemed Contributor

I have gotten emails from paypal saying my account had been compromised and they had opened an investigation. I'm pretty sure this was one of the times I had to cancel my discover card and get a new one.

Esteemed Contributor

This happened to us a few years ago. The amount was exactly 1,000. Called Paypal and they said they will investigate.  I said no, I want that money back in the accound now, and then you can do your investigation. Stayed on the phone for about 20 minutes and the account was made whole.

We also received new cards that week.

This happens a lot and it's not just with Paypal.

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama   Be careful opening "paypal" emails.  I haven't used paypal for many, many years, and I get all sort of emails telling my my account has been suspended, asking me about fake orders, etc.

I would call them and always check who the email is from before opening.  The crooks will try anything, and some are so obvious, one time they miss spelled paypal

......You look like I need a drink.....
Contributor

[ Edited ]

This just happened to my husband and myself. Not knowing about PayPal and the emails.....I opened the email thanking for my purchase of 499.99. I did not make that purchase. Down below in a faint sentence stating if I didn't make this purchase to call the number listed below. I did. That's where the scammers get you. So if you know you didn't make the purchase.....take it to your bank and get them to put a hold on your acct. until you can get your accts. changed. Otherwise they will get into your acct. find out all your information and take your money. BELIEVE me.....do this. Now I know having to change all my accts like the bank told us to do. THEY also said they see this so much with paypal and people are getting scammed like my husband and I did. Word to the wise. Don't do business with PayPal.

Respected Contributor

I called the number on the back of  the Paypal card and they are filing a Fraud Dispute and took the charges off of my bill and said only pay for the  charges I did. She was very helpful.

Yes, I never open emails from Paypal as I know they don't do it. I always call if I have a problem. I will not be using Paypal accounts anymore. They will discard my card and I declined to get another card. I have had this account for many years and never had a problem. What was an eye opener for   me  were  these transactions that I did not do were only on my paper billing  bill and not on Paypal account online  because they didn't have the card just my number. This was so scary for me  nothing  like  this has happened before. My days of buying online are over! Thanks everyone for all of you advise. Much appreciated.

Super Contributor

Exactly why I never went the Paypal route.  I always use a virtual credit card number provided by my credit card company.  Can only be used once and has a very short expiration time.

Man plans. God laughs.