Respected Contributor

Re: Harvest Time at the Back Fence - November 2016

[ Edited ]

Lucky you Bernie. We have a theater in the next town, about 10 minues over and it is still owned by the original family. Use to be a gorgeous theater - they turned it into three theaters and they are fascinating in how they operate. During school it does not open during the week until 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday earlier. Most any movie costs is $5 and Wednesday it is $2.50. First run movies just like the chain theaters - food costs are horrible however but you can take kids or groups at a decent cost. The Krikorian theater in the town on the other side of us, well the cheapest movie you can find is $9 - that is sr. price. I cannot afford that place and even the $9 is more expensive depending on what movie is playing - a rip off but interestingly enough it is jammed most of the time.

Suppose to be 91 here today - Am so sick of election stuff I sure will be glad when this day shuts down. I hope things remain calm - never have I had such apprehension at an election time. Not good.

Have a good time one and all - have my ears tuned in for little voices - should be soon. Sigh. The night was way too short for me. LOL

Trusted Contributor

Trying to get caught up a bit on the posts.  Bernie, is your sister home now?    

My Nephew, who is superintendent at a utilities company in Argos, IN somehow slipped getting into a bucket 14 ft In the air. He came crashing down on the crown of his head. His hard hat fell off. They had to air lift him to a trauma center in South Bend.  He was alert and talking when they took him and could move everything but in lots of pain. This happened Last Friday.  They stapled his head and on Monday did surgery on spine. A piece of bone had been driven into his spine. They removed that and fused the 3rd and 4th vertebrae. Today the neurosurgeon took him off all fluid nutrients and wants him to sit up and eat and walk with a soft collar. They expect him to go home tomorrow.  Jim is in his 50s and very overweight.  He is a lucky man.   He is my twin sisters youngest son.   He just recuperated from his second knee replacement.   Good thing he has sturdy knees to rehab on.   I always told him he had a hard head. We are all feeling very blessed

Honored Contributor

@yock

Okay I have to watch how I phrase this these days Betty...  Mother of all that's holy! what a terrible accident that your nephew was in.  That hard hat probably saved his life. 

My eldest sister has been out of rehab since Fourth of July weekend.  She recently took a trip to Florida to attend a wedding in October and is back from that too.

Well, I crossed myself and said a prayer before I cast my vote this morning. What a nerve wracking election cycle this has been huh?

After I voted, I took the Camaro the discount tire and had them check the air and top off any of the tires.  I had a pancake compressor that recently putzed out.  I saw one at the home depot that I will buy, just waiting to see if there will be any holiday sales on garage tools/equipment before I buy it.

Around here, good luck finding a gas station with an air pump.  If you find one, better have a roll of quarters on you - they charge for it.

I finally did the grocery shopping today.  I've really enjoyed my 5-day break.  I did some work related things on the laptop on Friday and yesterday, but not too much.

Oh yea, also found out my mammogram was clear.  I have to tell you, I dense tissue in that area - have known about it since 1991 when I insisted a surgeon remove a hagknot on the right 'one'.  It was benign but I wanted it out anyway.  

So anyway, been getting mammo'd since my mid 20's.  Last year MI passed a law that radiologists/doctors advise patients of dense tissue in case they don't know it.  

So this year, when I got my notice to schedule the mammogram, the breast cancer detection place told me about my dense tissue and suggested a 3D mammogram (digital breast tomosynthesis).  So I said okay.  This particular place knows many insurance companies don't pay for DBT so they are billing the insurance companies for it and writing off the small difference in reimbursement between the regular and fancy one just through the end of the year.

This morning, I got the email that results were posted on "myChart".  I swear there are more disclaimers about my calcifications with this high tech mammo than I usually get. Pfffft!

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Nope, hat fell off before he hit the ground.   

Glad ad to hear about your sis

the statons around here all charge for air but we have a tire place not too far away and air is free.   They will check out your tires for free also. I think most tire places do that nowadays.   

Honored Contributor

@yock

I need to slow down when I read because you sure wrote that his hat fell off.  Okay, well that was the hand of you know who at work then ;-)

Trusted Contributor

AMEN!

Contributor

Well.....here after a hectic summer.

Yock that is a terrible accident. I sure hope he has a full recovery and if he ould just loose some weight. I have lost 50 lbs so fr and can tell it in various ways.  No relief of back pain though. I just grin and bear it and know what I can and can't do.

Our summer slipped by before we knew it.  We did take three days to go to eastern Wash. to see the fall colors and to get our apples. We have also reconnected with long time friend after over 40 years and it was just like no time lapse and has been wonderful.  We just wish we lived closer to each other. 

Ron fell off the ladder and injured his shoulder and knee.  He has been to the orthopedic dr. and on pain pills and is having MRIs next week. He bent the ladder and has promised he will not be on a ladder again. He wasn't supposed to be on one anyway and just missed hitting his head. We have done our winterizing our flowers and burnt the debris.  Just have a little more wood to split but he has a young fellow who he hires who is a very hard worker.

Well, it is bed time so I need to close.  I hope I get back here sooner.

Trusted Contributor

Meuw, sorry about Ron's fall.  It's a constant battle here to keep Merle off ladders.  He just hates to ask for help to start with and waiting for someone to be able to do it is even worse.   

Yes, our Jim was a lucky man.  He had his picture on FB yesterday with his usual grin.   I was going to say something about his hard head but figured some people who didn't understand our relationship might think I was being cruel.  

Its much cooler here today but lo, the sun came up. That makes all the difference for me.  

Honored Contributor

Hi Meuw, it's always good to see you posting.  I'm sorry that Ron injured himself falling off the ladder.  I hope he'll be right as rain soon.

Respected Contributor

Too many falls and boo boos! Seems like people are getting better - that is always a blessing.

Well my keyboard went bananas last evening - of course it had nothing to do with being knocked on the floor with a lot of the cap covers falling off. Geesh!!!!!!!!! I was lucky today - went to Staples and while  they sure are coming apart at the seam  will say I got a GREAT Wireless keyboard for $12.99 - not bad huh??? They came in pink or blue - I took blue but I was just thrilled to get a keyboard at that price - could cared less what color it was actually. I actually got the batteries put in the right place and that reading thingie in the pc so we are in business. They also offered a $4.99 warranty for two years - of course I took that also. LOL. A GREAT deal!!!

Just have to get use to the different key spacing - that is always a challenge.

It was plumb HOT here today but the wind was fierce. Hope all had a great day.