Esteemed Contributor

Re: Halloween trick or treaters this year....

We haven't gotten any trick or treaters for years, so I don't bother with candy. 

The sign makes it seem that everyone in your home has Covid. Even if they don't, that's the first thing I would think about. Might give people the wrong idea. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I think trick or treating is pretty much a 20th Century activity that is pretty much out of place in today's time.  

We quit about 6 years ago when kids were being hauled in by the bus loads.  It was fun back in the day when it was kids in the neighborhood and it was fun to see them and their parents.

Now it's a commercial candy grab with streets clogged with cars, trucks and vans and hundreds of people you don't know running everywhere.  

Go ahead and scold me but I don't think this is a good thing to teach kids, and I think on some levels it is simply unsafe.  Every year I expect someone to get run over or fall down and sue someone they don't know. . . 

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

We haven't gotten any trick or treaters for years, so I don't bother with candy. 

The sign makes it seem that everyone in your home has Covid. Even if they don't, that's the first thing I would think about. Might give people the wrong idea. 

Unless, of course, that's the message you're trying to send.

Honored Contributor

if we had young kids in our neighborhood i would give out candy. we have not had any for about 11 or 12 years now. we have one family that just moved in that has an elementary school aged boy. i may buy a bag just in case he will be trick or treating. i miss seeing the little kids......and my own little kids who loved to trick or treat.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

Halloween is on a Sunday this year.  I hope we get lots of kids!  Last year was very cold and rainy and we did get a few kids - maybe 10 or so.

I wouldn't put a sign like that out.  I would leave the light off and just not answer the door. 

@Bri369 I go to. Bed very early... and my dogs go crazy when they  hear foot steps  up the porch steps or door knock/ door bell. The sign will help prevent that 

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@teganslaw  If it keeps them from ringing the door bell....good thing!

Honored Contributor

I don't think there is any danger of passing or getting covid while handing candy out to kids -outside, but everyone is different.  You need to do what makes you feel safe.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

Halloween is on a Sunday this year.  I hope we get lots of kids!  Last year was very cold and rainy and we did get a few kids - maybe 10 or so.

I wouldn't put a sign like that out.  I would leave the light off and just not answer the door. 

@Bri369 I go to. Bed very early... and my dogs go crazy when they  hear foot steps  up the porch steps or door knock/ door bell. The sign will help prevent that 

@SeaMaiden Nothing wrong with the sign if it suits your purposes!  

Honored Contributor

We're on a side street that is a downward curve with a house at the bottom..  No one wants to climb that hill.

Respected Contributor

I happen to agree with seamaiden.the sign is a good idea.atleast parents will steer little kids away from your house.my library usually hands out candy,but because of the day it falls on,this won't happen.i happened to see in the store the other day how pricey chocolate has been