Esteemed Contributor

Hallmark Channel: "An Old Fashioned Christmas"

Made-for-Hallmark-Christmas-Movies seem to abound, by the number I've noticed in the listing.  Expecting "Murder She Wrote" at 11 p.m., I tuned in, only to find this rather dreadful movie, set in the late 19th Century in Great Britain.

It's been on for 16 minutes now and I'll be turning it off when I'm done here.  Reason?  The son of the house sang part of "O, Holy Night," while the small family gathered in what we would call a parlor.   When it came to sing the word "Christ," Hallmark edited the song so that the singer sang "He" or perhaps "he."

Should the son of the house have sung the entire song, I wonder how many pronouns would have been thrown into the song.

I won't be tuning in again.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hallmark Channel: "An Old Fashioned Christmas"

There is such a difference in the way the sticom's of the 50's and 60's handled their Christmas shows compared to what we see on TV and in the Hallmark movies of today.  The family generally mentioned a church service and the songs were carols. The times might be changing, but not for the better. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @sfnative, Doesn't that beat all?  I bet Hallmark makes a merry profit every year selling Merry Christmas cards celebrating the birth of Him.

Honored Contributor

We get the regular Halmark Channel (not HD) and rarely watch it. Reruns of the Middle maybe. Those have been discontinued for now. I do not like the cheesy Christmas romances that are on now till Christmas. I have found Murder,She Wrote on Cozi Tv in the afternoon.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Made-for-Hallmark-Christmas-Movies seem to abound, by the number I've noticed in the listing.  Expecting "Murder She Wrote" at 11 p.m., I tuned in, only to find this rather dreadful movie, set in the late 19th Century in Great Britain.

It's been on for 16 minutes now and I'll be turning it off when I'm done here.  Reason?  The son of the house sang part of "O, Holy Night," while the small family gathered in what we would call a parlor.   When it came to sing the word "Christ," Hallmark edited the song so that the singer sang "He" or perhaps "he."

Should the son of the house have sung the entire song, I wonder how many pronouns would have been thrown into the song.

I won't be tuning in again.

This particular movie is not as good as the first one "An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving". I thought that one was wonderful. The Christmas one is just ok and more about romance than the first.

I'm really not happy with Hallmark for moving to all romance based Christmas movies on their channel. They have made some really good movies in the past, and there are so many non Hallmark movies about the spirit of the season, yet they crank out the same few actresses year after year with these corny romances. I wish they'd mix it up a little and drop some of the romance stuff.

As for the word change in the song, I hadn't noticed it when I watched this, but par for the course these days.

Trusted Contributor

This programming is dreadful. The past few years they have switched over to Murder She Wrote at 11:00 and back to the horrible Xmas movies at 9:00 a.m.  Looked the channel up on google and send an unhappy email.  This is nonsense.  It's supposed to be Movies and Myseries Channel and now all we have had for a week and until January 4 are these smarmy Xmas movies.  That eliminates 1/6 of my viewing year - which I pay dearly for through Fios.  They switched our channel lineup at one point and husband had to call to find out which lineup we could get that still had the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries.  It was an upgrade to have [of course].  I look forward all day to seeing Jessica at 11:00.  I know, it doesn't take much to make me happy, but there you go.

Super Contributor

I've posted before about these Christmas movies Hallmark makes us endure from now until Christmas.  I refuse to watch them--sickly sweet and predictable and now, if they're removing Christ's name, what is their point!? 

I wish there was a place where we could voice our complaints, but so far I haven't found one.  

Honored Contributor

I do not watch Hallmark during the Christmas movies marathon.  They start at Halloween and they do not stop until after New years.  They never show classics.  I do like Hallmark regular programming.  I just wish they would start their Christmas marathon after Thanksgiving and end it New years eve.  So I did not see the movie you are talking about.  Honestly cannot believe they are changing words to Christmas songs.  All I can say is unbelievable.