Honored Contributor

I have an appointment, again, with my hair stylist for June 2. I'm really hoping my state will allow it by then. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm not too concerned about safety. When I go get my hair done, its only her and I ever in her shop. As for cost, I would gladly pay her more. I was planning on giving her a very sizeable tip anyway. She's a small business owner and I'm all for helping them out! But I'll be there with bells on come June 2nd!! Yippee.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@CarmieDo you expect that when you are released from state restrictions you'll be able to use all 8 stations and achieve some kind of safety in the salon?  

I keep trying to visualize one salon I use and figure out what they';; have to do to keep themselves and the clients safe.  It's a big room but lots o workers and some stations are quite close to one another as are the shampoo sinks and the dryers. -  no way they are even 3 feet apart!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops I don't know.  I only have five stations in use on a regular basis.  I have a seperate shampoo room, locker/ dressing room and a room for coloring and other messy chemical treatments.

I am guessing the shop can keep people spaced apart, but I haven't seen the guidelines yet.

We might have to start back with only half of the workers alternating by  coming in every other day????

Right now there are no immediate plans to reopen.  My county in the state of PA is still closed.  Some businesses are opening anyway and law enforcement is not doing anything to stop them. A few people got arrested, but the charges were dropped.

Its a big mess. Business people are scared and they will lose everything if we don't open up soon.

If a salon is cleaning correctly on a regular basis, they should be very clean and sanitized.    You are taught this and must know proper sanitizing to pass your state boards.  I just hope there is enough santizing chemicals to go around.  The stuff we use is not available in regular stores.

Honored Contributor

When my salon emailed me they also mentioned that they will not be using a blow dryer to style the clients hair.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hairdresser opening...

[ Edited ]

The rules in Ct:

Like, restaurants, hair salons must be kept to 50% of the budling’s capacity. Waiting rooms must be kept closed, and services will be by appointment only. A contactless payment method is preferred.

Work stations must be kept six feet apart with physical barriers placed wherever possible. Where six feet of separation is not possible, barriers will be acceptable, according to Friday’s announcement. Tools need to be soaked in disinfectant between clients. Hand sanitizer and cleaning wipes must be available at entrance points, and high contact areas and bathrooms must be cleaned frequently.

Employees are to wear masks and face shields or eye protection. Customers must wear masks as well. Each client must be given a clean smock to wear.

Stylists will not be allowed to use blow dryers over concerns of moving possible contaminants around. Salons are encouraged to increase ventilation and airflow where possible.

Nail salons, which were initially allowed to reopen on May 20, must remain closed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

When my salon emailed me they also mentioned that they will not be using a blow dryer to style the clients hair.

We may be in for a whole new kind of fun....I guess there are those helmet looking hair dryers. I know I'm not going to want to get a color and have to leave with wet hair in the winter time. I may lose the highlights and just start doing it myself again. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat ...I hope the no hair dryer issue will be resolved before winter!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hairdresser opening...

[ Edited ]

@jeanlake  almost the same thing as mine. Wait in the car until appointment, she´ll unlock the door and take your temperature. The way the Salons are set up in that building, only two customers at a time, but now there will only be one customer allowed at a time.

No cash, only Zelle.

Oh yes, we also have to wear a mask and will be using disposable gowns.

Honored Contributor

Our salons are opening up next week.  I did get an E-mail with all the rules.  I'll have to go back and re-read it before I go, whenever that is.  They'll be calling clients to schedule.  I don't remember the E-mail saying anything about blow drying hair.  They ask that you come in with clean, dry hair and you can opt to just wet it or get a dry cut.  For chemical processes they ask you bring a shirt you don't mind if the chemicals get on it as they will not let you go in the bathroom and take your shirt off.  I dry my own hair with a diffuser on the low setting.  if I can't do that, I'll just go home wet.  Not a big deal as long as I can put product in while it's still wet.  

I have a dentist appointment next week, so I'll worry about getting a hair cut after that.  I just got done coloring my roots since things are beginning to open up.  I was surprised that gyms are even opening next week although I won't get to do that either.

Honored Contributor

My hair dresser will have to take a credit card it she does not want cash or check....and she always discouraged credit cards as a form of payment because of the fees.