Honored Contributor

I got an email from my salon today.....the state is allowing them to open in a week or so...they are following the state guidelines.

I am not concerned about going what irked me.... they will most likely be raising prices because of the pandemic.....hmmmm, I have not made any money either.  

My stylist has been doing my hair for years...I will not be happy if prices go up.  I am not sure how that comment will go over with her clients.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I got an email from my salon today.....the state is allowing them to open in a week or so...they are following the state guidelines.

I am not concerned about going what irked me.... they will most likely be raising prices because of the pandemic.....hmmmm, I have not made any money either.  

My stylist has been doing my hair for years...I will not be happy if prices go up.  I am not sure how that comment will go over with her clients.

Great! Higher prices and you chance going home infected. Sounds like a bad idea to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Received call from salon receptionist. Scheduled cut and color is for June 15th. Wait in my car, stylist/owner will come get me. I must wear gloves and mask fitting around ears. Only 10 people will be in salon, including receptionist, stylist and patrons. 

Not sure if increase in price. I've been going to her long enough that she would have told me. I generally tip 20% but will tip higher this time. She's owner and has 4 children.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I haven't heard from my salon, so I don't know what she's planning.   I do know she will not be able to serve as many clients in any day as she used to - at least not if we all want social distancing.   That will be one problem from her angle.

From mine -  Over the last 3-4 years, her price as gone up by a full third from $90 for color, cut and style to $120 now.  plus tip.  

Also from my side -  there's no one I've asked in this area who's paying much less for the same services and I do like this woman better than any others I've tried.  Not enough difference to walk away unhappy at least.

I could save some by spreading out my appointments and I'll think of doing that until my whole world opens up. If things were as they were 6 months ago, I was thinking of shortening the time between appointments. There are definitely times I don't like to look in the mirror just before she does her magic.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops something I did discover during our sheltering season was Clairol root coverage. Light brown covers perfectly. I may extend my cut & color appointments by 2 weeks because of this discovery. Save a little $$.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden I am not concerned...we both have to wear a mask and the # of people in the salon at a time is limited....and as before cleaned between clients.  

As far as the price increase, I will see...her situation is no different than mine...our business is closed as well as hers.

Respected Contributor

i got a text from my nail person as well.  opening up monday.  i didn't ask if she/we will be masked or not.  

i mean we'll be holding hands so to speak. sooooo hummm

Honored Contributor

Re: Hairdresser opening...

[ Edited ]

The salons in my area are not open yet and probably won't be for a while.

Many salons are permanently closing because they are behind on rent and utilities and other bills and won't be able to recover.  The list of businesses that will be closed are  in our newspaper this week and include restaurants, department stores and hair and nail salons. I was surprised to see many of the high end salons closing.

I own a salon and rent "stations."  The salon is licensed for eight chairs.  I have had five rented for the last few years.  I have room for three more stylists.  My phone has been ringing off of the hook.  There are so many stylists who are losing their jobs because the salon they worked in is going out of business and they are looking for new a place to work.

I am allowing the five stylists who have been with me to come back if they want to and I am not requiring them to pay back rent for March to ?.  I am not sure if I want my salon to be working at full capacity with 8 stylists.  That seems like a lot, especially if they have to sanitize between clients, so those three chairs might remain empty.

I am sure the stylists will have to charge more.  They will be seeing less clients a day and their expenses will not be going down.

I understand business from the other side.  If your stylist does not make enough money to contuinue to stay in business, he or she will go under.  They have no choice but to charge more.  They will no longer be able to have clients come in back to back.

You can go elsewhere, but they too will have higher prices and you may not be happy with the way you look.  

This virus has made it tuff for everyone.  It's going to be a big scramble for many people to get on their feet again.

Honored Contributor

@jeanlakeThanks for the recommendation.-  I especially need something for the cowlick high in my back crown.  That area's hard to do with any of the products I have in the house now.

Respected Contributor

I will wait. My life is more important than how my hair looks