Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  I always had a thick curly head of hair down around my shoulders.  Until at age 54 I was diagnosed with breast cancer and went through the whole ordeal.........After chemo when my hair grew back in I have kept it in a pixie ever since, it's a style I never would have opted for under normal circumstances.   I keep it at this length in homage to those who are still fighting the disease, it's just a personal thing.

DH loves it and a couple of people honestly have thought I was my 38 year old daughter's older sister!     

Do what makes you  happy, not others Smiley Happy 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Haircut Dilemma

[ Edited ]

I just spent the last year growing out my short layered hair so it would be all one length.  It's now a blunt bob. I could not stand the short hair anymore. I even got mistaken for a guy once and it wasn't even that short so I just let it grow out last year and I like it. I found that my short hair was harder to take care of. I had bed head every morning and had to wash it everyday. Now I can get away without washing it every day if I want.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On the other hand, I love wearing my hair short.

Longer, my hair always looked like Janis Joplin hair.  I'm just not cut out for longer hair.

I've been wearing it short, like Jamie Lee Curtis short, for years.

In February, I asked the stylist to go just a tinch shorter and I had taken my glasses off so I couldn't see till she finished and yikes!  She scalped me.  I was kind of shocked, but I didn't say anything other than "that's short!"  I don't have a lot of ego about stuff like that and it would grow out quickly.

And you know what?   I have gotten more compliments on my hair since February than I have my entire life.  I believe they call it "ultra short" and I love it.  It's still a scissor cut.  It is really, really short.

I had to laugh a little. A few posters mentioned that with short hair it looks like you've given up.  That's kind of how I feel sometimes when I see women with really long hair just pulled back all the time.  

It is all a matter of personal preference. One isn't more stylish than the other, in my opinion.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Go with a blunt cut bob. I think you will be much happier than with a pixie.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While a short pixie looks like it's very carefree, I think it could be more work than you might expect.  Depending on your hair....does it have any cowlicks? ...that could make a big difference in how much time you have to spend on it.

Plus as others have mentioned, it makes a huge difference on the shape of your face whether it will look good or not.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely try the short cut, if you really want to. Short, but still long on the top & tousled is a pretty look. My sister wears her hair like that & it emphasises her eyes & looke so nice.

My hair is shoulder length, stick straight layers & the longer & stringier it gets, the better my husband likes it.

I really dislike that term. "Gave up." I never gave up because I never tried that hard. Gave up what? Trying to look young? I'm not young! Gave up trying to look fashionable? I never did look fashionabl!

I am clean. Comfortable...well, maybe that is all. Clean & comfortable. 

Yeah. Nevermind. You shouldn't take advice from me. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great advice all!  Thank you.

I leave in an hour but I will let you know how it goes.  Still chuckling over the "was mistaken for a guy" comment @Meowingkitty .  Years ago, this same stylist would rebel to giving me a "man cut".  I used to work outdoors and it suited my lifestyle.

I think I'll go the bob route, but I'll ask my stylist's opinion.  She's been cutting my hair for 15 years or more.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I definitely prefer the Bob over the pixie. It's more sophisticated. I never liked a pixie. 

Valued Contributor

I have tried ever hairstyle long, short, bob, pixie etc.   I would be bald if I could.  I wear it short with a wedge.  I have cowlicks everywhere and hair does what it wants, no matter how much I work with it.   I just cut some of my sides yesterday, because I could not get them under control.  I have friends that there hair always looks the same, mine never looks the same.  I finally gave up trying and will always wear my hair short.  

Esteemed Contributor

Good hair is blessing..... sometimes it doesn't matter how well you care for it. That being said you can ruin good hair.

Maybe your hubby loves your hair the way it is and just doesn't communicate very well.