Respected Contributor

It is possible your coworker ask for a raise and they gave it to her. A lot of people never ask for a raise they just think they will get one. I have no idea if that happened but I know it does. If you feel like you deserve a raise then you should speak to your boss about it. You might not get one but you might.

Honored Contributor

I started on a low rung and and at one point got a raise simply because it was so low 

i dont remember exactly what they called it but it was about $1,000 a year

it was an admin postiion and i transferred to another dept

and kept advancing to diff positions in that same dept - I asked for the diff positons

i did NOT want to know what others are making 

i did NOT talk about my raises

I got probably bigger raises than others when the company gave raises once a year

(sometimes no one got raises bc the company held off for 6 months or more due to circumstances)

I was playing catch up to others doing the same job bc i was always the newbie

I believe that whatever job you are doing - do it well

you can leave if you are unahppy

dont let it eat you up inside or be resentful - good luck

Honored Contributor

Re: HOW WOULD YOU FEEL?

[ Edited ]

I guess I would think, possibly, that they had done something in the bosses eyes that went above and beyond, what I had done.  Shows there's a chance anyone can be rewarded for a job well done.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

Without going into detail,how would you feel about your co worker who has a different job title,got a pay raise plus bonus,but you got a bonus but no pay raise?

It's called life in today's workplace.

A different job title might mean a different job level, different responsibilities, etc, that you don't know anything about.

How large is the company? If it's a big corporation, you need look no further about why. Salary plans at big corporations are skewed so the upper levels get good raises and the lower levels get what's left, if any.

I worked for a huge corporation and about 25% of people got salary increases each year. They claimed it was to recognize the higher performing workers but it left a ton of room for management to reward their favorites. I took a lot of heat trying to give raises to employees other than the top 10%. 

Honored Contributor

I cannot answer your question but back in the day no one ever knew what their workmate made....who discusses that personal information with others?

Honored Contributor

Throughout my career, It was a big NO NO to discuss salary, raises, etc.

As long as I was treated and rewarded right, it didn't matter what others made. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hard to say but if she/he has a different job title, maybe he/she is doing their job more efficiently in the eyes of management and deserved to get a raise and a bonus.

I'd be happy I got a bonus!

Respected Contributor

Like someone else mentioned if you think you deserve a raise ask for one.  Just make sure you detail why you think you deserve one.

A friend of mine over the last couple of years was given a lot more responsibilities at work because other employees left and she assumed their jobs.  When she asked for a raise her bosses were very apologetic and admitted they had dropped the ball on this and she had fallen thru the cracks.

So speak up!  Hopefully it can't hurt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Did you check w/HR?

And please answer my question.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Your coworker has a different job title which means she has a different job description.  You have different jobs.  You can't compare your situation to her's so he thankful you got a bonus.  Many jobs aren't giving out bonuses these days.