Super Contributor

Cooked meals would be great! Also paper plates, and utensels would be wonderful too.

and maybe get some friends of hers to go over and clean the house for her to come home too.

Respected Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

My daughter in law is in the hospital, she gave birth to a baby girl by C Section, went home, and then developed a utertus infection.  It is so sad, she hasnt had a chance to bond with her newborn.  She is still i the hospital, and her best friend is watching her newborn, while her husband is at the hospital.

Looking for some way to help.  I was thinking about ordering some meals from Home Chef, or Blue Apron.  But I dont think she will be in the mood /or not able to cook for a bit once he gets out.

I could send flowers, but was looking for a better way to help.

Any ideas???   Thanks

Wow, that's awful.  So sorry to hear this.  I had my gall bladder out and one of the small incisions got infected.  I was told two out of three surgeries, this happens.  Anyway, I agree with the others.  The food thing is the best choice.  I was in an operating room one time and it looked like an auto body shop, i was stunned.  My surgery was successful and no issues afterward.  Very good hospital.  Anyway, that's got to be making her feel awful!  Being in hospital, they'll get this taken care of though.  My husband was a CS baby and his brother too.  When my mother had her kids, me plus two other girls, her first one, they all tried to scare her by telling her these fake scary things like OH, they slap a huge iodine rag on your butt and by the time they were done, she was flipping out for no reason remembering what they all said.  They, (friends and family) got a kick out of the joke.  Some would not take it well and she was mad but laughed when it was all over.   We three were the other kind of births.  Just wanted to make ya laugh. XXOO  God bless, hon in your time of need.

Respected Contributor

I didn't mean to make light of a serious issue.  Just wanted to make you smile for a few seconds.  Again, anyone in hospital NEEDS support.  It's crucial and her husband being by her side is crucial also.  I feel this very strongly.  Keep us posted on everything.  Hope everything is okay and yeah, the food thing is a great idea.

Respected Contributor

@qvc chickOrdering food for delivery from their favorite restaurants seems like a quick fix for the short term. Grocery delivery can provide essentials bread, milk, diapers, etc. I would try to take as much pressure off them as possible and certainly not add any by ordering from those meals that need preparation companies.

Do you know her parents well enough to work out some arrangements together. I feel like her parents would want to be with her except for the COVID problems that might arise. My MIL stayed with us because my mother was in bad health. The main thing is to be supportive and positive for both of them. Maybe send the flowers to the friend who cared for the baby after it has gone home.

Respected Contributor

I would give the couple cash, check or whatever and tell them to order food for themselves as they see fit. They know the restaurants they like. It sounds like the OP is not near where her son is.  

I never much cared for flowers since they die.  I prefer something more useful.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick Others have said it, but I will say it too.  FULLY PREPARED MEALS is the way to go.  My sister had problems when her child was born, and all the neighbors sent in meals.  It was the nicest thing, and such a relief.  So I would find a place nearby that can send such meals, maybe a whole foods or other supermarkets.  You can order paper supplies and drinks for them too. And of couse supplies for the baby that can make the situation of your DIL's best friend as easy as possible.  Maybe a gift gas card for the best friend if she is doing a lot of car trips.

Your DIL may enjoy a get well flower bouquet at the hospital too.

If you are close and physically able, you can also offer your services for whatever time you have.  I would love to spend time with a grandchild, but sadly, I have no children.

Respected Contributor

@qvc chick , comgratulations!  Lots of good ideas for you here!  LM

Honored Contributor

Re: HOW TO HELP A NEW MOM?

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick   You could check with a local catering company.  They could prepare the meals that are ready to heat and eat.  Possibly order several for the freezer, if they have space.  I know that I have very little freezer space, so I could not take much at one time.  I live in a small area so if you are in a large city, you should not have trouble finding someone to prepare the meals.

I always went and stayed with one sister when she had a baby...I know it really helped her a lot.  I never got to be a mother so it was a job for me to get to care for a newborn, even tho it was only for a week -10 days.

edited:  JOY not job!!!

Respected Contributor

I would hire a baby nurse for minimum of two weeks and send prepared food.

Trusted Contributor

Re: HOW TO HELP A NEW MOM?

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling  I respectfully but very strongly disagree about the husband not needing to be in the hospital taking care of his wife.  I don't need to get into all the details but my daughter was in a similar situation in June with her first born. She had two botched spinal procedures and was in the hospital for nine days after the birth and the doctors didn't know what was wrong. It was extremely scary and I give kudos to her husband for letting his mother take care of the baby while he and I took care of her. It's not easy to step away from a newborn, but it's what needed to be done as the baby was fine and my daughter needed our attention and help.  I had to advocate for her like you would not believe in order to get to the bottom of the situations.  I never, ever take what a doctor or nurse says as gospel. I am a huge believer of being your own advocate. They made lots of mistakes.

I do agree with you about the other poster not needing to shout, though.😅

ETA:  My apologies to the OP for not answering her question :-). I agree with others who suggested fully prepared meals would be extremely helpful, along with someone to assist with cleaning and other household chores.  And congratulations on the new grandchild!

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt