Trusted Contributor

Re: HOW TO HELP A NEW MOM?

[ Edited ]

I think providing cooking and cleaning assistance would be the most helpful.

Does Grubhub or DoorDash offer gift certificates?

Or order basic groceries for them delivered, even lots of diapers, etc., for the baby?

That was a great idea to do something nice for the gal who is taking care of the baby, too.

Best wishes to you all, and wishing your DIL a full and quick recovery.

Edited to add:  Yes, good idea to check with them first.  I wouldn't "surprise" them except gift certificates would be OK because then they can use them at their convenience.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Here's a novel idea, HE can cook! You know, the husband/father? 

Why make the new mother cook?

Since you do not know the family or the situation, please refrain from being so rude. They are dealing with a very ill mother and a newborn who will both be requiring care. He will be very busy caring for them.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids  You are so right about many of those meals take a lot of prep.

My daughter loves those by Martha Stewart.

She often orders them when she visits my house for a few weeks.

She'll be in the kitchen cutting and chopping BEFORE she puts it all in the pan.

We are big on having food delivered from restaurants.

Sometimes a person will have a "craving" for something in particular.

The OP didn't speak about the husband.  If he's still in the picture, he could let his mother know what his wife is hungry for.

She could order and have it delivered.  

It's also possible to order groceries and have them delivered.  I would think the husband could at least look through the kitchen and figure out what they need.

The OP is so lucky to have a new baby in the family.  All my 8 grandchildren came close together.  The youngest is now9 years old.

I hope everyone realizes how wonderful it is to have a new life in the family.😀

Respected Contributor

Congratulations on your new baby granddaughter!  What a blessing.   

My suggestion is to ask your son or DIL directly what they might want.  If you cannot physically help them the idea of food delivered from their favorite restaurants sounds great.  

I, too, agree that her friend also deserves a thank you of some sort.  Sending good wishes for a speedy recovery.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Anonymous032819 @Just Bling  Where is her husband you ask and why can't he cook?

READ the post: The husband is where he belongs, IN THE HOSPITAL WITH HIS WIFE.

Good grief.. The man is with his ill wife and you two are being critical of him. Nice. Real nice.

Why are you shouting.  The husband doesn't belong in the hospital, the nurses and doctors are taking care of her. 

The husband belongs at home with the Baby.!  It's HIS Child, no need to pawn the newborn off on a "Friend"

Good Grief Yourself, Family Needs to Step In if there's family involved.

Stop yelling at people and imposing that your opinions are only the opinions that count.  I am avoiding you and yet you seek attention.

Honored Contributor
Some of the meal delivery services offer fully prepped meals that just need to be reheated.
Honored Contributor

I know my daughter really appreciated take-out. Like doordash or grubhub or whatever its called. I believe they have gift cards.

The blue apron etc you still have to put things together.

And when she gets home if you can babysit that is the greatest gift of all or just be there to get things for her and the baby; wash bottles, get her stuff to eat,help change diapers, laundry etc. 

She will need so much help. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Do you live nearby ?  Maybe you could ask the  DIL & Husband if they  had a favorite local restaurant  that you could  pick up take out for them  or  if the restaurant have gift card  for meals .

Many of the  fresh meal companies  require  prep and cooking, so if you're  not getting around well, than the meals become  a burden.

Respected Contributor

Perhaps flowers would be nice for the friend caring for the baby ........

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ask your son, he's the best source for what they need. When my DIL was in the hospital I sent a gift card for their favorite deli, it was nearby with lots of prepared food they enjoyed before & that helped them get through a tough time when she got home. Best Wishes. Be well @qvc chick.