Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOW TO GET EYEGLASS LENS IF PURCHASE FRAME ON LINE?

@CelticCrafter When I hear.......one FREE.......I start running!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

My local optician puts lens into my old frames whether those frames came from him originally or from somewhere else.  No idea whether that's because my script is quite expensive even without new frames that he provides that service or that it's routine there.

Same w/me as I always get Transition lens.  Sine my local eye doctor has their own eyeglass store right next to the offices, that is where I go.  Repairs are free & the 2 yr warranties are a plus.

I think there are pros & cons about purchasing lens online or off.  Really depends on the rx & the types of warranties if anything goes wrong.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I think most optical places will make lenses for your frame but most have you sign that if the frame breaks they are not responsible for repair or replacing. 

Keep in mind if they make lenses for your frame and the frame breaks, then you now have a pair of lenses and possibly no frame. 

My sister just took a Kate Spade reader for Rx lenses. The frame broke at the lab. She was able to get a new frame from KS for the lenses that were already cut. She was told no refunds on the lenses when she ordered. 

Trusted Contributor

@KACEE1115 wrote:

i found the cutest frames at eyeglass shop but $328 - found them on line for $150, just worried i won't be able to get someone to put lens in, without buying their frames.

Did you think of telling the Eyeglass shop the price you found online to see if they would match the price or work with you on cost? Ours has worked with us.

Also before ordering you would need to know if the frame is suitable to put the lens in.  Not all frames would be and depending on your prescription it won't work either.  I know I'm limited in frames due to my prescription.

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

I have a pair of frames with prescription lenses for sunglasses.  I no longer wear prescription lenses since I had cataract surgery.   I have tried to get plain lenses put in those frames but no one would do it.  Never thought to try Walmart Vision Center! 

Who did you ask?  My daughter and lots of other women have perfect vision they wear glasses as fashion statements and any optical shop will put clear glass in to frames that your purchase.  But now that I think of it, I answered my own question.  You didn't buy the frames from them and there is no money to made in putting clear glass into someone's frames.

Valued Contributor

I use an online service called ReplaceALens. I send them my prescription and a favorite pair of glasses. They put the new prescription in, the frames are cleaned and tightened up and look like new. The process only takes a few weeks.

Esteemed Contributor

The reason they give us a hard time & make excuses for not doing it is because they are loosing money .... they want us to buy the frames & lenses from them so that they make a bigger profit 🙃

Esteemed Contributor

@KACEE1115 :  I buy all my eyeglass frames and lens, from Zenni Optical ( with their frames and my progressive script it's about $110).  As has been previously stated, some frames don't take all scripts and Zenni has a wide variety of frames and you can sort them by what type of prescription they accomodate.

Valued Contributor

I have my eye on Kate Spades Jonae frame!!

Valued Contributor

Good idea!