Valued Contributor

HOW TO GET EYEGLASS LENS IF PURCHASE FRAME ON LINE?

i found the cutest frames at eyeglass shop but $328 - found them on line for $150, just worried i won't be able to get someone to put lens in, without buying their frames.

Respected Contributor

Re: HOW TO GET EYEGLASS LENS IF PURCHASE FRAME ON LINE?

@KACEE1115 I purchase all of my glasses online. I got cute readers (Isaac, Lori Goldstein, Cynthia Bailey) that I purchased from QVC, I then take them to Walmart's vision center along with my prescription from my eye doctor and Walmart puts the lens in. I do not need glasses to see, just for distance so I get single vision. I think the cost is around $39.

Respected Contributor

I have a pair of frames with prescription lenses for sunglasses.  I no longer wear prescription lenses since I had cataract surgery.   I have tried to get plain lenses put in those frames but no one would do it.  Never thought to try Walmart Vision Center! 

Esteemed Contributor

I just got new glasses in Dec 2 pairs- I said to tech I thought about just getting new lense in one of my frames........she said...oh, that's expensive.  Cost more than new everything.

Second experience:   once I got frames from an glasses-store front company - buy one get one free.  Those were the worse - lenses kept falling out.  I had to carry a tiny screwdriver set at all times.

That's my input.............................

Respected Contributor

Just go to an optical store.  Why would they not sell you lenses? I don't understand.  The only situation they may not want to is if the frames are old (they could break). So if they're new, there should be no issue.  The lenses are more expensive than the frames anyway.

Respected Contributor

Before I started using Walmart's vision center I used the place I was getting my eye exam from. My brother gave me a pair of Gucci glasses that were too small for his face. I took them to my optometrist after getting my eyes examined and instead of purchasing glasses from them, they took out my brother's prescription and put mine in. It was covered by my insurance.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I just got new glasses in Dec 2 pairs- I said to tech I thought about just getting new lense in one of my frames........she said...oh, that's expensive.  Cost more than new everything.

Second experience:   once I got frames from an glasses-store front company - buy one get one free.  Those were the worse - lenses kept falling out.  I had to carry a tiny screwdriver set at all times.

That's my input.............................

That meant the lenses were incorrectly sized for the frames...

I just got new glasses, one lens was very loose.  I went back the optician to have the screw turned and he told me the lens was too small that they needed to be sent back and redone. 

Honored Contributor

Years ago I took some Kate Spade frames to Lenscrafters and got my prescription sunglass lens put in. No problem.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

My local optician puts lens into my old frames whether those frames came from him originally or from somewhere else.  No idea whether that's because my script is quite expensive even without new frames that he provides that service or that it's routine there.

Respected Contributor

Both Target and Walmart will do it, unless they are rimless.  They won't do rimless.

Target charges $275 for progressive.  I just recently priced them out.  Most independent optical shops will also do it.