Highlighted
Valued Contributor

HOW SHOULD I HAVE HANDLED THIS?

My favorite niece's birthday today.  It has been in the planning for 6 weeks.  GIRLS ONLY, no husbands.  There was to be her sister, her cousin, my SIL, who is the best human being in the world and their aunt, and me.  I was going to start to give my nieces my jewelry, some of my good pieces because we have had so many deaths lately, it's time to pass things on.  Also, we are very close in ages and we have wonderful times when we get together.  Well my niece called to tell me her sister is bringing her husband.  She told her sister this was GIRLS ONLY but he wants to come.  Am I being petty?  He's a nice guy but come on.  This has thrown a damper on this get together.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOW SHOULD I HAVE HANDLED THIS?

Why the heck would he want to go?!  

Honored Contributor

Maybe it will work out ok. If you make an issue it could ruin the entire event

I'd let it go

Honored Contributor

As the only guy at the table...he pays the tab!

Esteemed Contributor

I'll never understand why some couples find it so hard to have separate friends and events.  She should have said NO to her husband, it will change the atmosphere of the party.  Nothing is more fun than a girls only time!

Esteemed Contributor

I am always suspect when a man wants to go to a girls' only event with his SO.  Seems like controlling, or he has no friends, which is another situation.  He is not one of the girls and does not belong there.  Unfortunately, there is really nothing that you can do if you want to be gracious and not ruin the event.  I would probably pull him aside or have another male family member do the same and say something to him.  However, I do not suggest that you say anything to him to keep peace in the family.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe the other men can plan to golf or go to a sports bar together and make sure he is invited!!

Honored Contributor

Doesn't he trust her? Some men are quite insecure

Honored Contributor

@bootsanne wrote:

My favorite niece's birthday today.  It has been in the planning for 6 weeks.  GIRLS ONLY, no husbands.  There was to be her sister, her cousin, my SIL, who is the best human being in the world and their aunt, and me.  I was going to start to give my nieces my jewelry, some of my good pieces because we have had so many deaths lately, it's time to pass things on.  Also, we are very close in ages and we have wonderful times when we get together.  Well my niece called to tell me her sister is bringing her husband.  She told her sister this was GIRLS ONLY but he wants to come.  Am I being petty?  He's a nice guy but come on.  This has thrown a damper on this get together.

@bootsanne

Make him a nice plate of snacks and put football on in another room, if possible.  BTW, I do the jewelry thing once a year.  My jewelry box is getting lighter and lighter.  I also give away beauty and makeup products to all of my girls.  Just finished doing this for 2016 a few weeks ago.  They love it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Let him come along and be bored.  I'm not suspicious that he is controlling but you'd know more about that than I would.