Valued Contributor

McDonalds didn't come to my town until 1970 and I was 17.  My little sister insisted we go there for lunch and she came away as a McDonalds fan and me "not so much."  I thought it was the worst hamburger I've ever had.  There were several local hamburger joints that made great burgers - real meat that wasn't frozen and were tasty.  So I stuck with them.  To this day, I've only eaten at McDonalds a few times and that was because I was with others who decided to go there. 

Respected Contributor

@hckynut   Take a look at "The Old Motor"  website. Says the photo dated Dec 2 1961

McD's in St.Pete, FL.  And the car between the 2 V Dubs is a Renault. Someone made a comment saying you could hear the Renaults rusting ;-D

@hckynut wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

we were little kids, early 60s. there were McDonalds in Florida then when the sign had a big 15c at the top of the arch.   the seats were outdoors.

the kids working there were teenage boys but to us they were grown-ups.  they gave us the paper hats with the mesh tops.  

we never went there again because parents didnt like the food.  We did go to A&W for root beers.   On Fridays we would go to this place called Proctors for all-you-could-eat fried fish dinners.

Mc-Dee-I1.jpg

@CatsyCline 

Yea, more old cars! Far right 1960 Ford Falcon/VW Beetle/??/VW Beetle/1955 Ford Wagon. Those in the back, can't see enough of them. But 500 million sold? 

hckynut 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45   Wow, really? Our place closed up many years ago...when I was in high school. 

Honored Contributor

Re: HOW Old were You?

[ Edited ]

I just Googled, and McDonald's opened April 15, 1955, in San Bernadino, CA.  I wasn't born yet.

I do remember when McDonald's opened in our town, but I'm not sure how old I would have been.  My mother always got a hamburger and brought it home and put a piece of cheese on it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@sunshine45   Wow, really? Our place closed up many years ago...when I was in high school. 

@Shanus 

sonic drive ins .png

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

As long as I can remember.  My mom did not drive.  Saturday was shopping day and we would all pile into the car and my dad would drive us first to the mall for shoes or clothing or whatever anyone needed at the mall. Then he would drive to the supermarket, my mom and the older kids went in and my dad stayed in the car with the younger kids.  By then we were all starving, we always wanted McDonalds.  My mom would always protest that she could make something when we got home but I knew she really didn't want to cook after being out.  So we got our McDonalds.  

Trusted Contributor

@sandy53 I also experienced my first McDonald's in Omaha and I think it would have been about 1960. My 5th grade track coach took our relay team to Omaha Westside to run in a meet. I must have been 10.  Afterward he took us to McDonald's. None of us had heard of it before and we all thought it was great. We really thought we had hit the big time. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

When I was growing up, we had a privately owned resturant here where you ordered through the speaker.  The burgers were absolutely delicious, and they did a steak sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and a small salad in a rectangle paper bowl; the meal also had a small homemade strawberry short cake.

DH and I got to know the man and his wife in Sunday school years later when our sons were young.  They really enjoyed the boys.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think I ate there until I was in high school.  If our church youth group had an activity in the next town over, we would stop at McD's, Burger Chef, etc. for a meal.  As me and my friends got our licenses, we would go shop in that same town and McDonalds was always our first choice.  

My dad hated fast food so we never went there (or any of the others) as a family to eat out.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Being from a very small town in the mountains of my beautiful East Tennessee, we had no McDonalds but ate at the one in Knoxville at age 16 and loved the cheesburgers/fries.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee