Super Contributor

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN ITS TIME ?

Speaking for myself I think that when you begin thinking seriously about it and the steps that you need to take to live comfortably, you are already there.  It may be a slow process but, once you have started to weigh the factors you have subconsciously made that decision.  I completely remodeled my house, inside and out all with intentions of not having those expenses in retirement, made sure I had no outstanding debt and still i retired two years prior to my initial date.  I was so exhausted between a demanding job, long hours, always being aware ot the employer's youth kick and some health issues

cropping up I went out sooner than I had planned, but I was prepared to do so and have never regretted it.  To me retirement is freedom.   I have no demands on my time unless they are self-imposed and after a life-time of working (some times two jobs) I feel I earned it and hope everyone else can do so.  Money is tighter than it used to be,but I don't need as much.  I have always lived within my means and still do so.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I retired in March of this year.  I'm 63.  I worked two jobs for my whole life.  I loved my main job until we started not replacing people as they left.  I didn't mind working 45 hours, but most of us worked 50-55.  Had enough stress and overtime.  We were salary, so no overtime pay.  

Second job was 1 day a week.  I saved and planned.  I met with my financial advisor.  I kept my one day a week job.  7 hours, a few $$$.  I did NOT look back.  It depends on how well you planned.  They say you should have 6 months of living expenses banked.  I am blessed to have a pension, and started my SS this month.  Luckily, my employer provides health care at a discounted rate until I reach 65 and Medicare.  It's a big plus.  Good luck with your decision. 

Honored Contributor

I worked for 35 years at the same law firm.  Loved working for the attorneys that I had but one day I decided I'd had enough and didn't want to do it anymore.  It didn't happen overnight, but gradually.  The feeling would come and go but then it started to be more the norm than just occasional and I knew then it was time to go.  I wanted to leave still loving my attorneys and the work I did, friends, etc., so it was important for me to leave before the resentment and frustration of having to get up and go to work and the feeling of "I don't want to be here or do this anymore" became too much.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Figure out which job you like best and would want to keep if you were to quit one.

Take the salary from the job you would quit and bank it every week.  Only live off the salary from the job you would keep for at least six months.

See if you could swing that financially permanently and how you feel with the extra time off.  Then go from there.

Valued Contributor

I did not read all the replies so forgive me if this has already been said.  Start with 3 day weekends and see how that goes.  If it works then 4 day weekends if that is allowed. That should give you a good idea about your finances.  Make sure you have a special account for things that break or you need for living.  Start slow if you can.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:
As most of you all know I am divorced and have 2 jobs.I have money in the bank no car payment and reasonable rent,but things break down.for instance I have to get a new tire Thurs
Cost is 275
00.Extra stuff like this adds up.Plummer is coming Friday to fix nozel spray
Yes scumlord won't pay so it is on my shoulders.Car insurance is due in Nov
.I think and think of all these things and ask myself could I do it ?

@Luvsmyfam 

I have no idea how old you are, and that's a huge part of this consideration IMO.   

Continue to build up your cash reserves ... and maybe work just one job for a year.  See how that goes.

Respected Contributor

As many have noted, first you must examine your finances to be sure you can afford to retire.  

If that's no issue, then - if you are still unsure and can take baby steps, do that.

Think about how you will spend your time.  

I absolutely love being retired.  I am in two women's organizaions which offer many activities i enjoy - book groups, bridge, mah jongg, museum trips, lunch and dinners out, volunteer opportunities, etc. 

Working provides its own schedule, and while you can definitely enjoy three days of doing nothing, weeks of that will get depressing so have a plan to fill your days - which can involve whatever you enjoy - just be sure not to isolate.  We all need friends.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Luvsmyfam  -  I didn't read all the replies, so I may be repeating what someone else already said.  

I was going to say that if anything, just quit one job.  Don't quit both jobs at the same time.  As you stated, baby steps.  Gradually easing out of working would be so much easier financially than quitting both completely.

You've been at your jobs for a long time and both would probably take you back with open arms if you ever quit and wanted to come back.

Good luck with what you decide.  Keep us posted.  You have Q friends here that care about you.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal I plan on telling my boss monday,Monday,I am cutting down to 2 days as to opposed 3 days.I think this will help.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

@San Antonio Gal I plan on telling my boss monday,Monday,I am cutting down to 2 days as to opposed 3 days.I think this will help.

@Luvsmyfam - That is such a smart move.  Cutting out one day should hopefully reduce some stress and give you breathing room.  Then you can cut back where needed little by little financially.   

Hopefully Mr. Bossman will be understanding too.