Honored Contributor

Re: HOUSE BROKEN INTO LAST NIGHT

I am glad to hear that nothing was stolen or vandalized but I don't why you would invest in  security and then undo the whole thing by leaving a kitchen door unlocked.  On purpose, all the time.  You got lucky.  In real life,  most burglaries do not happen in the wee hours.  They happen when people are not home and that can be anytime of the day.   I also don't understand why you take comfort in it possibly being "kids".  Burglery is burglery.  It's not somehow better because the burglers are the 15 year olds who live one street over.   Yes, whoever they were, they did stake you out.  They waited for you to leave and it's likely that they knew you don't lock that kitchen door.  It was going to be a "grab and go" where they snatch small electronics, jewelry, collectibles etc but they didn't know you had that alarm.   

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree, I really try to avoid controversy...however.  I am sure you likely did not think before you sent your message.  I will give you the benefit of the doubt, but I think @Shanus feels badly enough about what happened without being reminded of what might have been differently.  Just sayin’.

Respected Contributor

So sorry that you went through this trauma. No, you can’t be too careful.

I live in a top floor fire escaped apt. I have a gate on window always locked. When we go out all windows are locked.  I live in Brooklyn, NYC.

Thank goodness you’re ok and doggie too.

Sounds like it was a crime of opportunity, make it as 

difficult as possible for thugs to break in. 

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@Shanus   Honestly, I cannot even imagine this happening but I can tell you, I do think about this all the time. We also have a dog but he is manical at barking at anything or anybody coming up to the door, even walking past the house if it's another dog walker.

No one can sneak into the house because we've old fashioned doors with huge panes of glass in them. If someone really wants in, they'd have to break the glass to get in hence alarming the dog and us someone's coming in.

Something like this is SO obtrusive and discerning. Glad to know you're all okay.

@PINKdogWOOD   We may have dodged a bullet last night (oh, haven’t thought if they were armed), but at one house, they did drug a barking dog. Of course, DH wants me to stop wearing my wedding rings during the day just in case someone spotted me around town, followed me to see where we live. Oh cwap! I hate to run scared and change my entire life because of a few stupid kids. 

I would not do that...I have turned my rings under my finger before, tho.

When we back out our car is running before we open the G-

door, then we sit there while the door is closing down all the way...then we back on up and leave.

I am so thankful you all are Ok.  It IS very un-nerving and you feel "exposed" for awhile after.  It probably was just kids, but, Kids have done some scary things.

Monke~

Respected Contributor

wow,  so glad to hear that you are all ok, and that you have a good solution that will help you feel more secure!  

Esteemed Contributor

So glad that you, DH and Molly are all safe. And thanks for pointing out the extra security measures you'll be taking. I think it's a good idea to for all of us to be aware of what we can do to make sure we're safe, and sharing info like this helps everyone.

Respected Contributor

I am so thankful that you and your family are safe!❤️

Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your kindness and support. This was scary. I hope I’ve learned to be more aware of my surroundings. By sharing this experience, maybe all of you will be more safe, as well. 💕

Respected Contributor

@Shanus   I’m so sorry to hear this.  So glad you, DH and Molly are ok.  Years ago, after my mother passed, I was trying to get my dad out of his house for dinner. We were gone maybe 1.5 hours,  We came home, and kids were running out the back door and over the hill.  I felt terrible.  They didn’t seem to get anything, but so upsetting, and I felt even worse for wanting my dad to get a night out.  We think they must have just got in when we came in, they heard us, and bolted.  Shook us both up for a while.  You are making adjustments and that is good.  Take care, I’d join you for a cosmo if I was close by.  Take care!!!  Be safe. 

Honored Contributor

I let out an audible gasp when I saw your thread, @Shanus.   What a soul-shocking experience.   I'm so sorry, but also very, very grateful that you and yours are safe.   It sounds like you have good plans going forward, but I also know it will take time for you to feel safe again.   (((hugs)))❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova