Honored Contributor

Re: HOUSE BROKEN INTO LAST NIGHT

How scary, sorry it happened.  Im glad to hear everyone is ok.  Sounds like you have a plan in place.  May I suggest that either you or hubby stand out side and watch the garage door area before getting into your vehicle and leaving.  It that feasible in your case?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

That's scary @Shanus ....our house is locked up like Fort Knox all the time, unless dh is mowing the yard or we are in the front of the house....but if someone wants in they will find a way.

About two weeks ago a house in our small subdivision was broken into in broad daylight!..the house was one street over they broke in thru french doors in the back yard!  Glad your dog was not harmed.  They were quite brazen...there were utility workers in the neighborhood working on underground utilities....they could have been spotted at any time.  

We do not recall a robbery in our neighborhood in the 40 years we have lived in this house.

There is a door in our garage that leads to the house, we do not lock that door unless we are gone for an extended period of time. 

Glad you were not home at the time, but it sounds like they were watching the house.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  Make sure your wedding rings (and any other jewelry your wear often) is appraised and photographed by your jeweler every few years. Update your insurance to cover those items, as well as furniture, artwork, sterling, china, etc. Keep photos/videos of those items in your safety deposit box.

Wear your wedding rings and enjoy them! I do and without worry. I've worn them for 50 years and intend to wear them a lot longer! I'm also wearing my mom's wedding rings and an aunt's engagement ring as right hand rings. Amazing that they all work well together since they are all platinum in tasteful settings.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

@Shanus how scary- I am so sorry to hear!  Glad to hear you're all ok. 

I never leave my garage door up unless I'm in the front yard.  I never did t because I thought somebody would run in, always because I thought small animals would go in to nest (mice, birds,  chipmunks).  I keep nothing of real "value" in my house except my dog.  

Try to relax.  I'm pretty sure that will be tough in this situation but try hard.  The chance they'll be back is very slim.  

@Jtdmum   We never leave garage door open. We were just pulling car out...That’s what’s so scary!

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

How scary, sorry it happened.  Im glad to hear everyone is ok.  Sounds like you have a plan in place.  May I suggest that either you or hubby stand out side and watch the garage door area before getting into your vehicle and leaving.  It that feasible in your case?

@Imaoldhippie   He’s at work during the day when I come and go. Remember this happened in daylight. I think maybe having the cameras will be a deterrent. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

That's scary @Shanus ....our house is locked up like Fort Knox all the time, unless dh is mowing the yard or we are in the front of the house....but if someone wants in they will find a way.

About two weeks ago a house in our small subdivision was broken into in broad daylight!..the house was one street over they broke in thru french doors in the back yard!  Glad your dog was not harmed.  They were quite brazen...there were utility workers in the neighborhood working on underground utilities....they could have been spotted at any time.  

We do not recall a robbery in our neighborhood in the 40 years we have lived in this house.

There is a door in our garage that leads to the house, we do not lock that door unless we are gone for an extended period of time. 

Glad you were not home at the time, but it sounds like they were watching the house.

@Mom2Dogs   Please now lock that door that leads to garage. Crazy people out there.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Shanus  Make sure your wedding rings (and any other jewelry your wear often) is appraised and photographed by your jeweler every few years. Update your insurance to cover those items, as well as furniture, artwork, sterling, china, etc. Keep photos/videos of those items in your safety deposit box.

Wear your wedding rings and enjoy them! I do and without worry. I've worn them for 50 years and intend to wear them a lot longer! I'm also wearing my mom's wedding rings and an aunt's engagement ring as right hand rings. Amazing that they all work well together since they are all platinum in tasteful settings.  

@BirkiLady   I’m also a walking billboard of “wealth” w/ my rings, diamond studs, etc. Everything in the house is insured and photographed. Good point. 

Trusted Contributor

Wow, @Shanus how awful! There is no sinking feeling worse than being broken into. Glad they didn't get anything and nobody got hurt.

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@Shanus   I hear you for sure. I would fear if a gun is present they'd shoot my dog. Just that thought....

Valued Contributor

How sad and upsetting, I'm sure your first concern was your furbaby, Things can be replaced, but people and pets can't. I hope they catch these brazen people. Cameras will be helpful.