Honored Contributor

HOUSE BROKEN INTO LAST NIGHT

While we were away at dinner, we received a call from our alarm company that the alarm went off and indicatied the kitchen door inside the garage is open. The police have been dispatched. Our food was quickly packed into styrofoam boxes, bill paid and went home to check it out. We were 15 minutes away.

The police were obviously still there. They said when they arrived, the garage door was up and kitchen door to the house still ajar. It’s obvious to them (since it’s been happening in town) that the kids, more later, were hiding in the shrubbery near the garage until we were leaving. When we opened the garage door, they ran inside and of course, we then closed the garage door. No, we never lock the kitchen door which is also wired to the alarm...we sure will now. When the alarm went off, they obviously ran out and took nothing!!

The police are sure it’s a group of kids and not professionals because it was 6PM, still daylight. We have flood lights that come on & off at various times on timers. The inside of our house is always lit up and we leave the TV on for Molly. Oh Molly, our “attack beagle”, had run out her doggie door and was waiting for us in the fenced yard. One of the police said if she had started barking, they could have panicked and harmed her. I guess she did the right thing to run. The alarm company’s coming today to install cameras on the front porch to scan the driveway & surrounding areas. This will let me know of intruders by cell phone so I can call 911. Some world we live in, right?

Of course, I was up all night...grateful that nothing was taken, Molly wasn’t hurt, but scared to death that we could have been home...or worse, I could be home alone since obviously daylight, outside lighting and noise inside is not a deterrent. I always keep the alarm on when I’m home, but will now feel unsafe leaving and coming back into the garage. Obviously someone can sneak into that area while that garage door is open. Oh, our yard maintenance people are coming tomorrow, too, to trim down all high shrubbery around the area.

Ladies please be aware of this and keep your eyes opened and aware. In an SUV, someone could easily be below the level of my back window & I would not be able to see them. Yes, the kitchen door will now be locked at all times. We didn’t lock it for convenience since usually coming home w/ packages, groceries, gym bag, purse, etc. and needed a hand free to turn off alarm. I’ll be putting a bench under the alarm pad for packages and from now on always be looking over my shoulder.

Honored Contributor

Re: HOUSE BROKEN INTO LAST NIGHT

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

We can never be to safe. Alarm company worth every cent! Made sure my new home though I live in gated community with sign in requirements still chose employing a security company. Thankfully! You, DH, and Molly are safe. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   Oh my...SO glad to know you, DH and sweet Molly are alright, as much as you all can be at least. No harm came to any of you but still extremely unsettling. Something like this certainly puts fear and that uneasy feeling in your own home. That's something none of us ever wish to feel in our own home.

Hopefully soon VERY soon the police can find these kids and put an end to this in your neighborhood.

Esteemed Contributor

Ohhh, that's a scary situation. Fortunately, you've done all the correct means of keeping your home protected (except locking the inner back door, which I have also been lax on this summer).

Imagine the shrill of the alarm and Police had him confused and petrified (and hurt his ears, which sent him running outside for relief) until you arrived. 

Your improvements for additional security are perfect. Glad no one (other than your dog) was home or hurt and nothing was taken or damaged.

Hope the experience scared the kids enough that it put a quick end to their crime spree. Idiots!

One of the reasons, I've never wanted an SUV. Even with the back-up cameras, they sit so high I've never been able to see what is around me. (I'm 5'7" tall!) Give me a nice, well-appointed 4-door vehicle anyday that I'm able to see what is going on on the other side whether I in or out of the car. My son has encouraged me to buy an SUV over the years, but I feel like they give too much blind space for someone to loiter when I'm in a parking garage at night. Didn't think about my own garage! 

Thanks for a great post filled with many wise tips. Glad you are safe.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Thanks so much for your concern @PINKdogWOOD @Sweet_Serenity . It was definitely a scare!!! 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady   I have my SUV because at 5’1” and shrinking, I need to sit above everyone and have the extra visibility. Ever noticed how folks in these huge trucks pull out at a light in the next lane just far enough so you can’t see to go ahead? In a sedan, I’d still be sittting at those lights.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   Honestly, I cannot even imagine this happening but I can tell you, I do think about this all the time. We also have a dog but he is manical at barking at anything or anybody coming up to the door, even walking past the house if it's another dog walker.

No one can sneak into the house because we've old fashioned doors with huge panes of glass in them. If someone really wants in, they'd have to break the glass to get in hence alarming the dog and us someone's coming in.

Something like this is SO obtrusive and discerning. Glad to know you're all okay.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@Shanus   Honestly, I cannot even imagine this happening but I can tell you, I do think about this all the time. We also have a dog but he is manical at barking at anything or anybody coming up to the door, even walking past the house if it's another dog walker.

No one can sneak into the house because we've old fashioned doors with huge panes of glass in them. If someone really wants in, they'd have to break the glass to get in hence alarming the dog and us someone's coming in.

Something like this is SO obtrusive and discerning. Glad to know you're all okay.

@PINKdogWOOD   We may have dodged a bullet last night (oh, haven’t thought if they were armed), but at one house, they did drug a barking dog. Of course, DH wants me to stop wearing my wedding rings during the day just in case someone spotted me around town, followed me to see where we live. Oh cwap! I hate to run scared and change my entire life because of a few stupid kids. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

Be kind to yourself...rest and nurturing. 

Praying for you. 💗

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus how scary- I am so sorry to hear!  Glad to hear you're all ok. 

I never leave my garage door up unless I'm in the front yard.  I never did t because I thought somebody would run in, always because I thought small animals would go in to nest (mice, birds,  chipmunks).  I keep nothing of real "value" in my house except my dog.  

Try to relax.  I'm pretty sure that will be tough in this situation but try hard.  The chance they'll be back is very slim.