Honored Contributor

HOTEL EXPERIENCE (NEW NORMAL)?

OK, so we're home from our first "trip" since covid and stayed in a hotel. Housekeeping was not available unless requested since room "sanitized". Remote for TV had  plastic wrap and so did phone receiver. No blanket, only lightweight comforter inside sealed duvet cover...Had to bring up the blanket we keep in the car (lucky to have it since cold and rainy). Thermostat and other things in room that would have to touch all had signs that they were "sanitized for our protection" and also plastic wrap covering.

If we needed extra towels, kleenex, TP, we had to go to the desk and ask for it and take it up to our room. Elevators: only 2 people allowed at a time and if see others in there, had to wait for next one. The restaurant that always had the BEST buffet breakfast, had "heated counter" and each item was individually wrapped in plastic to put on your tray...2 scrambled eggs on plastic plate wrapped in saran wrap, same with bacon, pancakes, etc. There were very few people eating in there at $10.95 per person. We opted out and went to diner nearby where served with gloved/masked wait people. 

The "new normal" in a hotel was odd, but I felt "safe". I'm not sure I'd pay for a destination, somewhat expensive 2 week vacation without the amenities I've learned to expect, but this was just 3 days visiting family several hours away.  

Honored Contributor

Re: HOTEL EXPERIENCE (NEW NORMAL)?

Sounds like the industry that manufactures plastic wrap is making a pandemic killing.  Just think of all the hotel rooms and then other industries that must be using tons of it.  Yikes, we should have bought stock a year ago. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Just what we need.  More plastic.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Just what we need.  More plastic.

@just bee   LOL. Yes, bad for the environment, but good for protecting surfaces. We also had plastic plates, paper cups at the Keurig coffee maker, no bibles, stationery, pads or pens, etc.  

Esteemed Contributor

Some people might say “Better safe than sorry.”

I am one of those people.

Honored Contributor

I am amazed to hear how far behind the current science the industry is.   Are so many people still so fearful Covid is spread by touch and not via the air that they wouldn't stay in a room without all those protections?

Honored Contributor

I doubt we ever travel again.  With the lack of ease and the attitude of a lot of people, I have no desire. 

Honored Contributor

DD is a head housekeeper for several upscale hotels in our area and they don't do any of those things, other than only 2 people in the elevator at one time unless you're all family members.

The rooms are cleaned and re-sanitized every day, unless the client requests it not be.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

We spent last week in Vegas.  Felt very safe with the sanitizing process.  Really didn't notice much of a difference with anything else. 

Even before the pandemic I always tell housekeeping to skip my room and if I need anything I will call down to the front desk.  I just don't like having anyone I don't know come into the room while away.  

Honored Contributor

will be able to answer this question next month.

i will be staying in two different hotels while traveling for events in may.

have not stayed in any hotel for over a year now.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein