Honored Contributor

Re: HAS ANYONE PURCHASED A USED CAR FROM HERTZ??

I have not bought a car from any rental agency and I never would.  Most folks who rent a car will run the dog water out of it and not treat it with care or respect because it is not theirs.  Just my opinion of course but I have heard others say this same thing.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

It's still under warranty???  Go for it!

I do not care where you buy a car from there are going to be problems and recalls.  Such as life!   

If it is a good price, but it and ENJOY!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I have not bought a car from any rental agency and I never would.  Most   folks who rent a car will run the dog water out of it and not treat it with care or respect because it is not theirs.  Just my opinion of course but I have heard others say this same thing.

Curious.....have you rented a car recently?

It is better to take treat the car with white gloves than to get a charged with extra cleaning fees or damages.  You can pay hundreds in fees quickly and easily.

If you want to beat the bumper off a rental, then rent from Bob's car rental not Hertz or Enterprise.

Trusted Contributor

Between 1987-1992 we bought a small car from Hertz.  It even was yellow!

Years later we sold it to the man who operated the gas station at the corner and he tried to fix it up for resale again.  He told us months later he worked like crazy on it and found that all the insides had fused together due to excessive wear.  He finally told us he was so fed up he felt like pushing the car over a cliff.

Maybe newer experiences with Hertz rental cars are better now but that was our experience.

Honored Contributor

We have a car right now that was a rental car.  It was less than a year old when we bought it and it had a little under 7,000 miles on it.  However, we purchased it through a local car dealership.  It came with the rest of the warranty and because of the low mileage, we were able to finance it like it was a brand new car.  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand the statement about drivers not taking care of rental cars.  MOst car rentals are for a short period of time.  WHat is there to "take care of"?  The rental car facility does all the required maintenance on the car and you can see the documentation that the maintenance was done.  WIth a used car traded in at a dealership you have no,such assurances.

Esteemed Contributor

Some people will do long term rental of a vehicle, especial if they are going to be in town for a month or so.

Then, they can drive the vehicle all over hill and dale, rack up the mileage, and not get regular service checks like they would (might) on their own personal vehicle.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister bought a car from Hertz about 10 years ago, and had nothing but problems with the car. People tend to abuse cars when they rent them. They don't treat them like they would if they owned the car...this is what the mechanic told her each of the many times she had to take her car in for repairs.

A certified preowned vehicle is usually the best way to go if you are not buying new.