Super Contributor

HAS ANYONE PURCHASED A USED CAR FROM HERTZ??

I am looking on the Hertz website and they have alot of great deals, on cars 1-3 years old.  I am looking for a small SUV.  Some of them have mileage under the 36,000 factory warranty....so I am thinking that it's not too bad of a risk....the car still has the original warranty.

Anyone have experience??

Honored Contributor

Re: HAS ANYONE PURCHASED A USED CAR FROM HERTZ??

I purchased a Buick LeSabre from a local rental company in the early eighties.  We had it checked over by a good mechanic of course.  I enjoyed it so much I bought another before we went to four wheel drive vehicles.

Super Contributor

I don't have experience purchasing a car from Hertz, but I have an opinion.  I absolutely would NOT buy a used Hertz car. People do not take care of rental cars as if they own them and therefore I expect a high chance of internal problems that maybe even the dealership doesn't know about. Just my thought

Valued Contributor

I would not hesitate to purchase a car from a rental agency. Those cars are regularly given maintenance service, oil changes, inspections, etc. My son works for an auto repair shop as one of his jobs, and he has recommended that to my daughter as an alternative to used car lots.  A three year old SUV with only 36,000 miles would be considered low to normal mileage. If the price is good, I'd jump on it.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan that I bought from a rental company several years ago.  I have had zero problems. I  had nothing but the best recommendations from several people, including a neighbor who owns several dealerships. My car is so satisfactory that even though I could have updated it, I can't bear to part with this one. I've looked at several new ones and they just don't measure up, so it's a keeper for now.

Honored Contributor

My opinion is, FWIW,  it's best to buy from the dealer.

Lease companies don't have the same standards as a dealership.

The mechanics at the dealership are trained on their brand and have regular training going forward.

I recently purchased a small SUV, I knew what kind I wanted, I asked a couple of dealers to keep their eyes out for a nearly new, local trade in.  

One called me last week. 

I got my dealer certified used car last Friday.

@qvc chick

Esteemed Contributor

Went with DS to look at Hertz a few years ago. They had teamed up with our local credit union to offer attractive finance rates, as well. We found prices to be high. They did not have the very popular Honda models they promised, they tried to "bait and switch" with an inferior brand, and the prices were high. The sales people were awful, even as compared to other "used car dealers. Very limited choices. No way.

Trusted Contributor

A few years ago I bought a 2012 Ford Escape from Avis. I saw it online and arranged the test drive . If you liked it, you took it home on the spot and they arranged all the paperwork.  They also gave me a complete printout of the maintenance. It was easy.

The biggest obstacle at that time was test drives could only be arranged at certain Avis locations; so we drove to a city about 75 miles away. I don't know if that is still the case.

I'd like to next get a 4-door truck and I'm thinking about going that used rental car route again. Oh - price was very reasonable and no haggling!

Respected Contributor

we have friends who've bought cars from hertz a couple times now and no complaints.  they currently have a chevy malibu and a honda suv. 

i'm sorry i don't have anything else to offer.

Trusted Contributor

I have not but a close friend did.  She had a great experience.  Rented a few different models for weekends and tried them out.  Got a terrific deal on a car that was less than a year old (warranty still in place).  Still talks about it now and it's been at least two years.