Trusted Contributor

Happy Hanukkah @Shanus  and all celebrating. I wish you peace, happiness and a healthy holiday season. 

"The darkness of the whole world cannot swallow the glowing of a candle." — Robert Altinger

Honored Contributor

Happy Hanukkah to all who will be celebrating..enjoy the food and prayers for a wonderful year ahead.

Darn it I missed Elise.

We are having our family celebration Saturday night...much smaller group  than years past but still with immediate family.

Honored Contributor

@DREAMON wrote:

Happy Hanukkah to all who will be celebrating..enjoy the food and prayers for a wonderful year ahead.

Darn it I missed Elise.

We are having our family celebration Saturday night...much smaller group  than years past but still with immediate family.

it's on her instagram 

Honored Contributor

Happy Hanukkah!!

When the kids were little we lit the menorah and gave them gifts.  Now they are grown and no longer live at home I don't bother anymore.  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ECBG  and all:  Thanks for the Hanukkah wishes. Candles are lit. I ate 4 potato latkes (I add zucchini, carrots and sweet potatoes) with aplle sauce on top. Some folks put sour cream. Full tummy here  ...at least for an hour or two.Then I'll be on the hunt for a snack. Lol

@Shanus I like my latkes with both apple sauce & sour cream!  Yummy!

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear   Can you please tell me how to get to Elise on Istagram..."address"?

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   It's a beautiful thing to carry on the tradition of lighting the menorah even if the kids are no longer home. I feel that life is so short. DH and I (he's 76, me 72) are alive and well and married 51 years. Being together, celebrating or sharing whateve we can and while we can is a blessing in itself. It makes memories. 

RE: Latkes. My Nana used to say the sour cream/applesauce choice depends on where your family originated in Europe.

My uncle  married a "very fancy lady" (my aunt). She even made him change his name not to sound too Jewish. Shame on her! Anyway, she serves her latkes, made very thin and tiny by her personal chef (LOL) with caviar. I was in NY, at their house, for Hanukkah one year. Hey, don't knock it until you try it. Delicious! It was served w/ drinks as an hors d'oeuvre. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Mini Latkes as an appetizer!..I love it but I don't care for cavier...

Yes it is still a lovely tradition to light the candles but I guess I just got lazy.  DH isn't Jewish and none of my relatives are around.  My mother is in south Florida and can no longer travel well (even before the pandemic). 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   Didn't mean to overstep.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Oh no problem!  I decided to put my menorah out in the kitchen and added candles...I found two boxes of candles that I had forgotten about.  Told DH I was lighting the candles tonight!  Your post just prompted me to do so! Smiley Happy