Respected Contributor

I have many Jewish friends. One of them lives on the next block from me and has a huge menorah in her front yard, and each candle lights up for each night of Hanukkah. It is beautiful. It's been put out every year for years and no problems. It may depend upon where you live. I think the suggestion of the winter wreath that you can leave out past Hanukkah into January is a good one. My best friend, who is Jewish, is crazy for snowmen. I give her one every year and she has them all over her porch and inside also.

Honored Contributor

I don't know what "in these times" means. If for some reason you don't want to decorate this year....don't.

Respected Contributor

You have to do what is comfortable for you in your community. Sad we have to think about this way of living. My feeling is that Hanukkah is a very minor holiday. It is nothing like Christmas. Never had decorations, just light a menorah for my family according to tradition. I don't feel Hanukkah should compete with Christmas with trees and decorations....not what it is about. That being said do what you want.

Valued Contributor

Re: HANUKKAH DECOR OUTSIDE

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree@Bri369@ThinkingOutLoud

When @Shanus referred to " in these times" she was referring to the increase in antisemitism around the world. According to the ADL, an increase of 34%, over 2200 attacks in 2021.

Last month, antisemitic comments from a notable celebrity with over 31,000,000 Twitter followers has made headlines and given voice to his rhetoric.

From Nov 10 - Nov. 29, 25 events in 10 states have been reported.

In my local So. Florida community, 3 16 year olds were just arrested for defacing a synagogue, a playground , and other areas with swastikas and other antisemitic writings. Two people were accosted walking to the synagogue. Last year, a neighbor had their

blow up menorah.punctured.

I have faced antisemitism when applying for a teaching job and subsequently, when teaching about the Holocaust. Principal told me never to meet with the parent without him present. My son was called "the Rabbi" as the only Jewish player on his HS basketball team.

Each week I pick up my grandchildren at their preschool. Armed security guards man the parking lot and entrance and you must show ID to enter.

I grew up in Queens, New York City, NY. Surrounded by Xmas lights, our Happy Hanukkah blinked on and off in our apartment window.

But, "in these times" , I have my lighted menorah inside.

This is not the media talking; this is reality for the 14.5 million Jews in the world!

Valued Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoudwrote:

I wouldn't let the media scare me into hiding my religion. To me, that's letting evil win and I'm not into that.

Sadly it isn’t the media that is scaring vulnerable communities. It’s the hate groups that are carrying out their vicious attacks on them. These groups have always been around but, for the most part, they stayed under their rocks. Now they are loud and proud. Let’s all pray for a return to decency.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus

As a Jew - my lifelong observation about this subject (Jews) is that

The Only Intolerance That is Tolerated

is AntiSemitism

I have and will continue to fight for my people, if you're not willing to stand up if need be, then you might consider keeping your beautiful holiday display inside.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9Living in a college town, there are varied religions, ethnicities, etc. as professors amd docs at the hospitals. We are the only Jewish couple in our neighborhood, though.

Honored Contributor

Re: HANUKKAH DECOR OUTSIDE

[ Edited ]

@Shanus@Hang your wreath on the inside of the front door. You never know when a crackpot could be around and do something. You can use those 3M removable hooks. Stay safe.

Honored Contributor

It's sad I feel the need to even ask the question and get opinions.

Honored Contributor
😢 Yes, my first thought was sadness that this is even a question. I’m sorry. I think you and Mr Shanus just need to discuss what you feel comfortable doing. Perhaps friends in your synagogue have thoughts as well?