Respected Contributor

Re: Guess Who Got A "Castle"!!!

@ECBG One mans trash is truly another mans treasure!  It is a great  sanctuary for the little mice and they appear to be enjoying their newfound home, thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

I guess no one is concerned about hantavirus?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I am in love with your new little babies!!

Heart Heart

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I guess no one is concerned about hanovirus?

@gidgetgh 

DH is very well versed as a semi professional spelunker (caver).  He has been around bats all of his life since his mid 20's.

Everything is changed outside with the proper precautions.

One of his closest friends is an infectious disease doctor as well.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG , I saw the story about Stumpy, but I missed how you ended up with the other one.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@ECBG , I saw the story about Stumpy, but I missed how you ended up with the other one.

@Icegoddess 

On his third trip back to the house, she came with him.  Since they get along, she was allowed to stay.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I guess no one is concerned about hantivirus?

@gidgetgh 

DH is very well versed as a semi professional spelunker (caver).  He has been around bats all of his life since his mid 20's.

Everything is changed outside with the proper precautions.

One of his closest friends is an infectious disease doctor as well.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG   why take a chance. did the mice live in the vicinity of bat caves?  While bats may get Hantavirus, it is spread by rodents.   mice droppings. the dried mouse droppings especially dried urine are highly infectious. it dries and become dust.    these are wild animals! not to mention ticks! ugh just seeing the droppings...they never stop pooping!!

Respected Contributor

One of our clients at the veterinary hospital where I worked raised three ratties that her husband found as pinkies when he was mowing the lawn.  Since she raised them as domestic rats they never knew the outdoors.  

These little girls were the sweetest ratties.  She would on occasion bring them in for annual exams.  Other than their looks one would have never known that they weren't regular domestic rats.  

All of them lived to be almost four years of age which is a little over the life expectancy of a rat.  As each one passed away she would bring them in for cremation.  She cried over each one and really missed them.  

For me it was a nice experience to see how even a wild animal can be tamed with love.  Had these rats lived outdoors their lives would not have been anywhere near what this wonderful couple allowed them to have.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@ECBG   why take a chance. did the mice live in the vicinity of bat caves?  While bats may get Hantavirus, it is spread by rodents.   mice droppings. the dried mouse droppings especially dried urine are highly infectious. it dries and become dust.    these are wild animals! not to mention ticks! ugh just seeing the droppings...they never stop pooping!!

@CatsyCline 

We are good, many thanks.