Respected Contributor

Re: Grocery stores and self check-out

@kitcat51 wrote:

I would never leave a cart filled with items I put in it for an employee to return to the shelves...I'd put the items back myself. Sadly that is what the world is today...ridiculous people, ridiculous behavior.

Amen

Respected Contributor

Most stores have gone to self checkouts. I don't mind checking myself out, especially as I don't buy many items at a time.  

Respected Contributor

HATE self-checkouts.  I don't work for them.  I don't want to have to weigh my own vegetables, etc.  Hopefully enough people will complain and they will reverse this idiotic decision.

Respected Contributor

Self check-out is fine if you only have a few items. You can get in, and out, in a snap. However, If you have a full cart, it's ridiculous. You need a bit of assistance to check-out efficiently and move the line along. 

Even with a checker, it's exhausting to do careful shopping, fill the cart, place everything on the belt, take the items to your vehicle (they rarely ask if you need help), then unload everything and put it away at home.

I agree, that I don't work for them. And these changes are not to benefit me. It's all about the almighty dollar, while all the prices soar.

Really, how crazy is that? And, we repeatedly accept inconvenient changes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no intention of using "self checkout" ever.  My Safeway has both, I use a checker when I am able to get to store since prefer to pick out my own produce, if cannot get to store, order online. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac : we used to think that also,but we just want to get out of the store. And the nearest Aldis is about 30 minutes away.

Frequent Contributor

Good for you!  I will also leave a store if there is no cashier to check me out.  Luckily, my grocery store always has someone near the front who will hop on a register if needed.  I refuse to shop at Popshelf because they have only self checkout.  If the line at the checkout is longer than the self checkout, then I will still wait.  I did not apply for a job working in their store!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sarahpanda 

Soooooo....do you self serve gasoline? Do you ever use an ATM? Do you shop online as opposed to trudging to each store to shop? Do you use the automated car wash?  Do you use a cell phone ( no overhead wire lines, poles, or the  people to maintain them?) 

I don't see the difference between them and self serve checkouts. 

Things change. It's better to get with the times rather than resist change...it keeps you sharp. And it's NOT going backwards...it never has....

Also....when some jobs leave, others evolve.

If they didn't ...we'd all still be buying buggy whips and horseshoes and using the outhouse and writing letters in longhand.....

Or laboriously and inefficiently  growing our food...instead of relying on automated equipment to plow, water, seed,weed,spray.  harvest, pluck, wrap, skin or otherwise process our food with a minimum of human hands ever touching the stuff......!!!

By the time it's on that self serve belt, it's been "handled' by MANY MANY MANY machines and few people.

Frequent Contributor

@Imaoldhippie If there was a gas station near me that offered the option of someone else pumping my gas for me, then I would gladly go out of my way to drive there and pay more for the service.  I absolutely hate pumping my own gas and having that smell all over me!  Maybe customer service will make a comeback someday!

Respected Contributor

@rissajaneen 

Me too as far as gasoline is concerned...BUT...it's STILL a good idea to know how to do it yourself in case you're in a situation where there is not an attendant to do it for you....

I don't get why people resist change so much. I'm 67 and I sure don't want to be one of those older people who moans about "when I was a kid, we walked to and from school uphill  with holes in our shoes and it was blah blah blah...

Patented old folks whinery.

No one at the store is confused that you "don't work there" any more than the 7-11 manager is when he looks out the door and sees you pumping your own gas.

Sheeesh.