Respected Contributor

Re: Grocery shopping yesterday

@kittyloo wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

At Walmart and they had the best looking produce I have seen anywhere for about 3 years.  The food shelves were fully stocked and even the meat case had enough to chose from.   Things looked normal again.  Some prices were decent and the beef prices were down a tad.

I pray it all stays that way.

lucky you!  i live rural, and unfortunatley WM is THE main food source for several small communities here. Produce is laughable, always empty spots in the meat, and frozen food sections.   if you see something that you want, and decide not to get, don't rely on it will be there next week.  

last week there was not a head of cabbage to be found.  last month it was celery. head scratcher.  

i hesitated on frozen turkey breakfast patties, and now they are just gone.  entire pasta isle was wiped out for about 2 months, and forget buying the lower priced soda like shasta.  huge gaps in the soda isle.  i could go on and on.  it is getting a little better on some things. 

oh, heres one for you, i was looking for dry lentils, and split peas. couldn't find them, asked a employee who looked it up, nope, they don't carry either one. really????  frustrating. 

@kittyloo, It depends a lot on who is running the store. We have some WM that are always practically bare and others that are pretty much fully loaded. Mondays are a bad time to shop for all of them because of the weekend crowd.I do not shop at that time because I have the flexibility and want to leave it for the people that are working during the week and only have the weekend to do errands.

I always find plenty of lentils and peas because they are not the most popular here. Almost every grocery trip includes some sort of dried beans. I am a bean lover and I like bean burgers with fresh sliced tomatoes and all sorts of other bean cuisine.

One thing you can do is place an online order and they will ship things like that so if it is not available at your local stores they will pull it from another store. During the toilet paper shortage there was none to be had and I ordered from them. They sent me TP from 3 different states.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 ............no I did not check for baby forumla as I have to reason to go down that aisle.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I live in Western PA....for months there's been NO canned cat food of any kind in my Walmart......now there's pallets of it! I been ordering from Chewy thank goodness they had it cause I feed a lot of ferals.

( I have no kids or spouse or anyone but me to buy for....)....

The rest of the store this last trip ( May 25, 2022) was full....every shelf brimming AND the beef prices were down a lot, so much so, I got two ribeyes, black angus, for 12,97 a pound ...they have been a LOT higher in recent weeks. Two in a pack, I cut them in half, and will have steak that I  haven't had in a long time....!

Veggies were good....their asparagus has been really nice in the last few weeks. 

It was so surprising to see how well the shelves were stocked. I got everything on my list this time...I love those little HALO oranges that easy peel. They're expensive as heck, but better for me than candy or cheese doodles or puffs which I can eat a ton of and are not good for me!!!

We have an ALDI too, and that's where I get most of my fresh veggies. They redid the whole store about two years ago and it's like a new store..really nice. They always have nice veggies here.

So maybe things will get more normal. I can't wait for the stands to open here....then I'll buy my fresh stuff at one of them. Local growers, and you know it's really fresh!

Frequent Contributor

@gidgetgh They had plenty. Everyone was getting their posted limit of 8.

The steaks that don't get sold are marked down another 30% after the sale is over.
Esteemed Contributor

I got groceries Saturday morning at WM and Meijer. Our WM is used heavily and has never been fully stocked ever. I've mentioned here a few times that their candy/gum aisle is basically bare and that was the case Saturday. The paper goods aisle was about half stocked as were several other sections. Overall, I thought it was stocked better than it has been in recent years. The produce is not any better and always goes bad before it is used up....much more than when I purchase the same items elsewhere.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie I try my best to not shop at walmart.ive read how they treat their employees,plus not crazy about buying products made in mexico,even tho that is almost everywhere including this tablet I am on

Respected Contributor

I'm in Central Florida and Walmart has been hit or miss.  No pasta for several weeks,  and many many other common items are out of stock.  Very annoying, and to top it off, every week the prices jump.  There not so cheap anymore.   Then there's usually only one cashier open, so I do my own scan and pack.  Ill go now to fill in on some cleaning supplies, and produce, and a few canned goods. For bread, buns, ill buy it there if my publix doesn't have a good sale.  I dont like the meat there at all.  It's just not worth the hassle anymore.   The wagons are messed up and hard to push, the parking lot is full even at 9 am, so im shoving this cockeyed wagon all around...talk about a work out!!   So after all that, I go there, and they're out half of what I need...UGHHH!!

Trusted Contributor

Prices everywhere continue to scare me.  Chicken that last year I would pay 1.99 a lb is now 3.99 a pound.  I'm spending twice as much on groceries now compared to a year ago.

The shelves don't typically appear bare its just the sticker shock everywhere.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie I try to stay away from that store as far as possible.was told,meat comes from Mexico and so does the fruit.no thanks.ill shop elsewhere

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

I buy produce at Walmart that is USA grown.  It is the one store that has USA grown garlic in my area.  

Seems like you are listening to what you are told as opposed to what is actually true.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward