Respected Contributor

Re: Grocery shopping yesterday

I live in the Denver metro area and for months I have had to go to at least 2 stores to fill my list & I have a freezer full of beef I bought from a friend who has a cattle ranch. I feel very thankful for the meat we have. Extremely frustrated at the lack of everything else.
Honored Contributor

What I have noticed in my area where we have many markets from which to choose is that even within the same chain, what's on the shelves or missing from them varies from store to store. 

Yesterday, I went to the Publix nearest home where 2 of the products I wanted were non-existent.  One had been sold out (Passover oriented so I wasn't surprised) but the other was a BOGO in this week's sale. None had come in.  Today I drove to the Publix another mile away -  found both!

Respected Contributor

Our HEB store seems to be fully stocked. We only do curbside pickup so I have not seen the shelves. We rarely have an out of stock item.

Honored Contributor

Where we live and shop, you can go one week and the shelves are fully stocked. 

The next week it looks the day before a blizzard.

Most times it looks like the day before a big storm with not much to pick from.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

At Walmart and they had the best looking produce I have seen anywhere for about 3 years.  The food shelves were fully stocked and even the meat case had enough to chose from.   Things looked normal again.  Some prices were decent and the beef prices were down a tad.

I pray it all stays that way.

@Imaoldhippie 

Gonna take a lot of your prayers to stay the same, whatever your "same" means. I see it getting much worse, not better. With energy prices going up, almost by the day! And with most of the farm equipment and over the road haulers, still running on diesel fuel?  I don't see that changing any time soon.

Enjoy your weekend and please remember why this day is special.  

"NEVER FORGET"

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I'm in SC and shop at a Food Lion...very hit & miss. One week saltines will be out, the next week it's another kind of cracker. Canned goods of several types are very limited. We've had to buy several different brands of bread over the last 2 years, just whatever's available. Produce is pretty good, and it's plentiful. There are large empty spots in the meat counters--beef and chicken. I don't need baby formula so haven't noticed that, but the pasta aisle was VERY depleted today...I got the last box of tri-color rotini on the shelf!

Honored Contributor

I went grocery shopping today at 2 stores and no sirlion steak!  I was in the mood for sirloin!!!

Frequent Contributor

Our Lidl was well stocked this week and I found everything on my list.

They also had 10 oz.Rastelli Rib Eyes or NY Strips for $4.95/ea. Those are the perfect size.for us. My DH bought his limit of 8 and I did as well. At least we have 16 in the freezer. I may go back again.to get more.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

At Walmart and they had the best looking produce I have seen anywhere for about 3 years.  The food shelves were fully stocked and even the meat case had enough to chose from.   Things looked normal again.  Some prices were decent and the beef prices were down a tad.

I pray it all stays that way.

@Imaoldhippie 

Did you check the baby formula aisle??

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@CicadaSongs wrote:
Our Lidl was well stocked this week and I found everything on my list.

They also had 10 oz.Rastelli Rib Eyes or NY Strips for $4.95/ea. Those are the perfect size.for us. My DH bought his limit of 8 and I did as well. At least we have 16 in the freezer. I may go back again.to get more.

@CicadaSongs - I'm glad you found the steaks and got a good amount. Maybe another shopper would like some. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?