Honored Contributor

Grief Support Groups

[ Edited ]

Has anyone here ever been to one, if you care to share what was it like? Did it really help you? 

Thinking about trying one, but I'm not comfortable at all talking in front of a group. Especially about something so painful that I still cry about it every day.

Anything anyone feels comfortable sharing I'd appreciate it. Other than someone I see once a week I have no support. The people that were in my life as support have basically disappeared since my loss. I've reached out to people , but I'm just so tired of getting hurt doing that. It's just too much now on top of my pain. My sibling support is nonexistent, that's my very sad reality.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

You could visit a couple of times and if you aren't comfortable, don't return. A friend attended a group after the sudden loss of her husband. There are 5 stages of grief and loss and those in attendance will be at different places and walk through stages differently. My friend was in her angry stage when she attended and was offended when counselor suggested she tried to dominate group with her angry stories and that wasn't the format of the group. It was a sad and heartbreaking time for my friend and she didn't complete the program. Another friend went through a grief support group after being shocked by divorce and discovering his secrets. This friend said the group was a life saver for her. I believe it depends on stages and personality. I hope you give it a try. I'm sorry for your pain.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21

I have attended grief support groups and the experience was helpful. The groups I have attended were church related. There was a person who led the group so everyone who wanted to share was able to. I dislike speaking in front of a group and that wasn’t required. Instead, people shared in an informal way. 

I’m hoping the person you see weekly or a close friend may have suggested different grief therapy groups to you. Sometimes the local hospitals will offer there facilities for groups too. 

I forgot to mention, the groups I have attended had an agreement that whatever was spoken about in the group was kept confidential. 

When you feel comfortable within a group you know that is the right fit. 

Let me know if you have questions or concerns.

Hugs, prayers and blessings lovely lady, 

🦋

Regular Contributor

I have not gone to a support group but family live in another area but we do talk quite often.  Ive had to do so many things on my own such as changing titles into my name. what I have learned I have to take it one day at a time Things I never dreamed I would be doing Ive had to do My husband did all these things .I think Ive been tested every way possible home repairs and car.....I bought some books on  grief from thriftbooks.com and they really helped.....I watch alot of programs on TBN its been 7 months and its better but still have my moments....6 months had a real set back but feel much stronger now.....keep busy that helps and if you need to weep do so its alright only you understand......I do plan to start church again soon want to do exercise either at home or walking the whole area of walmart with my cart to hang onto  will not spend money   ha!!!!!!!! cooking for one has been hard for me so I have to work on this.......Im not ready to be social yet so the next momths aregoing to be hard    I know you can be strong and this will get better in time we are in this along with many others and theymade it so can we   keep your chin up Ill be thinking of you.  God loves you!!!!!!  

Valued Contributor

Can you see that once a week person at least three times a week for a while? I know that I needed my therapist at least that many times in the beginning. I'm so sorry for your grief.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who joined a grief support group on Facebook right after her mom died if you don't want to be in person.  It seemed to help her a great deal.  I don't remember the name of it but I am sure you can search and quite a few will come up.  Look around and see if one speaks to you.

And if you want to be anonymous, just create a fake name Facebook account and go from there.  No need to be public about anything at all if you don't want to.

I hope your pain lessens soon.  We all go through something every day.  You are NOT alone.  Heart

Occasional Contributor

So sorry for your loss. When I became widowed, there was no support group I wanted to go to. I didn’t want to talk in front of other people. I didn’t think others would understand my feelings.  There was some anger, and some hurt caused by my in-laws.

However I did use a website called Daily Strength. They have a specific area for windows & widowers. I didn’t contribute much, but I read a lot of other people‘s comments which helped soothe my soul. 

I hope that you find comfort in this situation. It takes time, more time then we would like. Eventually the sorry isn’t as raw. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Grief Support Groups

[ Edited ]

The groups from Grief Share have a start date back in September ending in December. It's too late for me for that. But they're having a special group called Surviving  The Holidays. Frankly I want nothing to do with the holidays...just seeing all the Christmas stuff now is so upsetting. My Mom loved Christmas so much so that makes it even harder. I knew last Christmas would be our last together and she did too. I got her a special smaller tree, she was in a hospital bed in the living room close to the end of her life. Before that she loved to go in there every night and enjoy the tree. The tree was still up the day she died in June. We kept it up because she loved it so much. I decorated it for every post Christmas holiday.

Honored Contributor

The grief counseling I attended was through the hospital  hospice.  I benefited from listening to others stories and realized I wasn’t alone in grief. We helped each other.

Another one was offered through the funeral home which I didn’t attend because I had gone to the one through hospice.  

I kept a journal and wrote something down my feelings, hurts, pains, etc everyday. Months later I realized how much stronger I had become and the tears didn’t flow everyday all day.

I hope you get the help you so desperately need.  The groups are full of people just like you — they just want someone to talk to them or just listen.

Honored Contributor

@DJP wrote:

Can you see that once a week person at least three times a week for a while? I know that I needed my therapist at least that many times in the beginning. I'm so sorry for your grief.

I don't think my insurance will cover more than once.