Esteemed Contributor

Re: Greeting Cards

[ Edited ]

I'll send them out occasionally and buy mine at Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Party City and haven even picked them up at Wal-Mart and Meijer.  I refuse to spend over $3.00 for a card.  However, I was forced to earlier this summer as I couldn't find a decent (or any) cards for retirement.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Even though some folks now-a-days might not admit it, I'm  only guessing that most of them truly enjoy receiving a nice card with a nice handwritten note.  It's heartwarming, imo.  Also, some people enjoy writing a small note in the card.  I love to receive cards, especially when the handwriting is 'flamboyant'.  Very artistic, sort of a 'work of art', imo.  Love all of the cards and the people who send them.  Makes me feel good.   Keep in mind that I also appreciate 'in person' verbal greetings and birthday emails.  I'll take them all, no matter how, when, where, or who!  Even from our local insurance company, lol.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I do the dollar store also. Much more personal than an e-mail in my opinion. It's not the price you paid, just that you took out the time to celebrate their ocassion, what ever it may be. My 29 year old daughter does the same. She really picks out some funny ones. Hate to see an old tradition go by the way side.

Honored Contributor

I still send cards for birthdays, Christmas, and sometimes things like Thanksgiving or Halloween or just because.

I'm sad though, as we receive very few cards these days. All of my older relatives that sent cards and wrote letters are now gone. 

To me, there is nothing like opening the mailbox and finding a pretty card or a letter from someone you love. It makes my day, and I get to take just a few minutes to sit down, relax, and reconnect with someone that may be far away or that I rarely see. 

I display cards given/sent to me for a short time, and the most special ones I keep and revisit from time to time just to reminisce.

Honored Contributor

@frenchie wrote:

I've been ordering from Current Catalog for many years. Great deals on greeting cards, checks, address labels and paper goods. Sign up for their shipping deals. I like to have a stash of cards on hand rather than run out for one. Their cards run around 50 cents each like the dollar stores.

@frenchie,Super wrapping paper!  Such fantastic weight!  Beautiful art work!

Honored Contributor

I love to send cards.  There's an Etsy shop with THE most beautiful 3D cut out cards!  They may be even more fun to look at!!! Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I buy most of my cards from the Current Catalog, too.  Also will pick

out more expensive cards at Hallmark for special occassions.  I think

of cards as a way of staying in touch with friends, especially those

who live far away.  Agree that cards are becoming very expensive,

but that makes them more special; they almost become like a little

present that you send to someone you care about.  I have a friend

who lives on the West Coast - we haven't seen each other for many

years, but we delight in sending each other pretty cards.  Each card

I receive from her is a gift.

The Leaning Tree Catalog also has reasonably priced cards ($.99 -

$1.99) and has a good variety of serious, funny, etc...

Dollar Tree has American Greeting cards - some 2/$1 and great

values on gift bags. 

Honored Contributor

I love sending them and I love getting them!  I think its a shame that people are getting away from this practice.  There is nothing like opening up the mail box and seeing a handwritten card!  Back in the day, you had to go to card shops to buy them.  Now, they are every where and easier to purchase.  I get a lot of mine at the dollar tree shops.  You can get 2 for a $1 or some at $1.  I buy more expensive ones for a special person or occasion.  But I personally don't care if the card costs like nothing.  It IS the thought that counts!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

$$$$ store has some nice 3D, handmade looking cards on a special display. These cards are $1 each, a little more than the regular ones. Also, HomeGoods and TJ Max have beautiful cards that look handmade for $1.99. I always look through this, never know what you will find. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I still send cards for birthdays, Christmas, and sometimes things like Thanksgiving or Halloween or just because.

I'm sad though, as we receive very few cards these days. All of my older relatives that sent cards and wrote letters are now gone. 

To me, there is nothing like opening the mailbox and finding a pretty card or a letter from someone you love. It makes my day, and I get to take just a few minutes to sit down, relax, and reconnect with someone that may be far away or that I rarely see. 

I display cards given/sent to me for a short time, and the most special ones I keep and revisit from time to time just to reminisce.

Me too @Mominohio  love getting cards

My granddaughter loves to get a card in the mail. I always put in a dollar bill for fun......