Valued Contributor

I just discovered What's My Line, a show I sure many of you are familiar with from back in the 60's. I for one had never seen it. The two women on the panel are always dressed in evening clothes with beautifully coiffied hair. There is much silliness. Gary Moore stands or sits and smokes cigarettes the whole time of the show. There are occasionally great guest stars such as Vivian Vance, Roy Rogers, etc. It's fasinating to watch what was considered new scientific inventions back then on the secrets that are scientific. They do have a lot of fun. A good antidote to the news these days. 

Honored Contributor

@Whosits 

My mom watched every show and I watched a lot of them. My job threw a wrench into watching them when I worked 4-midnight shift. Dorothy Kilgalon(sp) and Arlene Francis were pretty regular panelists. If I remember right, John Daly hosted for a lot of the shows.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Whosits It is fun t watch!  I saw a few dating back to the 1950s.

Honored Contributor

My grandpa watched. Were Peggy Cass and Betsy Palmer on too? I was really little back then so I may be confused.

Honored Contributor

I'm 72 and we used to watch it faithfully. I still record many episodes. Loved Dorothy Kilgallen, thought Arlene Francis was kind of a snob.

Never cared for Peggy Cass, seemed like a loud mouth to me!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Great tension reliever

[ Edited ]

I remember Kitty Carlisle and Arlene Francis and Peggy Cass.

And Soupy Sales,  he was such a ham for the camera.

Arlene Francis was sued once when dumb bells fell from her windowsill of her apartment and kill a pedestrian on the street. 

She was also involved in a car accident on the way to taping What's My Line and someone was killed in the other auto.

Honored Contributor

I remember my folks watching that show---I watch but didn't really get it but remember how everyone smoked like a chimney. 

My go- to show is the Big Bang Theory----when I was going thru many weeks of chemo and felt  like a big pile you-know--what---that show made me belly laugh. Still does too.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

Loved Dorothy Kilgallen, thought Arlene Francis was kind of a snob.

@Love my grandkids 

I viewed the aforementioned ladies just the opposite. Ms. Francis reminded me of a next door neighbor where I grew up in Public Housing Projects.

Ms. Kilgallen reminded me of highly educated lady I had experiences with at City Hall. This was over the fair use of a City Facility. She was my Superior and I was her subordinate, yet I was the Client.  

Very different ladies for sure from my viewing.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

She was also involved in a car accident on the way to taping What's My Line and someone was killed in the other auto.

@Lucky Charm 

I will add a few facts to your above statement.

Ms. Francis car was struck by another car. The pavement was wet and the force of that car pushed her car over a concrete divider, resulting in the collision with an oncoming car with 5 passengers, 1 died. She was alone in her vehicle.

She also suffered some serious injuries.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)