Honored Contributor

Last year a friend and I were receptionists for H & R Block which is in almost every city.  Welcome people in when they open the door, ask the name and make an appt. for them or marked arrived.  Answer a phone, make an appointment.  Call and tell someone their appt. is tomorrow.  

The computer program is very simple.  A tax pro is always close at hand (they walk up to the desk every few minutes) to help you.  Can you write down the name of who just arrived and take it to whom they're scheduled?  There!  You did it!

You get to pick your days and hours.  The only "down" side I had was when it ended due to the tax deadline.

You can apply online or call your local office.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a fun "seasonal" job unless you're needing full time employment. Won't be long and we'll need to go to our CPA. 

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine started there as receptionist and eventually was promoted.  I'm not sure of her exact title, but the owner of her franchise has six offices.  She's responsible for hiring the receptionists, making the schedule and just about everything else, but doing taxes.  She works four days a week and works at a different office each time.  They are all about thirty minutes from her house.  She likes it a lot.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

A friend of mine started there as receptionist and eventually was promoted.  I'm not sure of her exact title, but the owner of her franchise has six offices.  She's responsible for hiring the receptionists, making the schedule and just about everything else, but doing taxes.  She works four days a week and works at a different office each time.  They are all about thirty minutes from her house.  She likes it a lot.

@GCR18,Join us!  It gets you out and about!  Love it and don't plan to stop until I can't!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG I have all I can handle with a full time job.  LOL.  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG

Thanks for clueing everyone in and sharing this wonderful opportunity!  It sounds really great!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

@ECBG  How interesting. Sounds like something my Mom would like to do. Do you mind sharing how many hours a week they like for you to work and also, the pay range? 

Thanks for sharing this info.

Honored Contributor

Re: Great Opportunity!

[ Edited ]

Absolutely!  It's $9.50 /hr (a college degree not required, therefore, not paid for) and you get to tell them your availability.  They'll let you work in several offices in the area to get the hours you prefer.

I really enjoy it.  I'm in the area where I taught and have seen several students I've taught.  I can't "volunteer" because I absorb everything, and I also taught 37 years.  It's perfect for me.  I'm a person who likes to go out.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG  What a blast from the past!  I, too, worked for H&R Block when I was in college.  It was in 1988 so technology has certainly changed since then.  I answered calls and transferred the customers to their closest offices.  I had fun and enjoyed the hours.  I worked 12-5 M-F so I was able to take my morning classes and be at home to study at night.  You are right, the downfall was that it ended after tax season.  Lots of fun for four months!Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

Re: Great Opportunity!

[ Edited ]

@The filing date for taxes is April 18th.  I'll be back in clothes before that date with Easter being on April Fools day!Smiley Happy  This keeps me busy during the slow time.