Esteemed Contributor

Of course you love your granddaughters, but when you don't set some limits to their parents, they will continue to rely on you instead of finding alternative sitters. It's just easier to call grandparents, they trust you, and it's free (although I'm sure that's not the deciding factor). You decide how often you're willing to watch them and then stick to it....and let them know (tactfully) that while you love your granddaughters and are willing to watch them occasionally, it's time for mom and dad to find another alternative. It will continue until you just say you can't do it....I know from experience. Sometimes young parents have a hard time believing that retired grandparents have anything else to do!

Esteemed Contributor

For them to show up unannounced is even worse. Just my opinion, but I would make the next time, the last time. You need to tell them no more. You and your husband have your own life and they are taking advantage of you. It's time to put a stop to it. You can do it!

Esteemed Contributor

@Citrine1, can you and your husband help your daughter with the cost of daycare? If so, I would think that's an alternative.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess,  I was just about to reply to your third post in this thread, when it suddenly disappeared!!!

I won't repeat what you chose to delete, but you've described outright exploitation.

Honored Contributor

I can see more and more of my friends dealing with this. In fact one friend somehow ended up babysitting odd shifts, 7 days a week. It happened little by little. Her son and DIL work long and odd shifts. So she has to not only babysit the kids but still babysit while the parents sleep. 

In fact 2 friends are dealing with the kids moving back into their house with the kids (one has 4 kids) and (one has 2 kids). The kids are buying land and having a custom house built. So they are going to live with the parents while they sell their present house, find the land and then get the house built. And the other wants a large house so all the four kids can have their own bedroom.

Please gently put your foot down. It is wearing down some of my friends. They can't go on vacations anymore - except if they include their kids and families. They are really starting to take over their time and money. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Grandmother's dilemma

[ Edited ]

@Carolmwrote:

Sorry, but I can't relate to the feeling that I'm spending too much time with my granddaughter.  I've had her almost every Saturday since she was two weeks old - she's going to be 13 next month. And I've watched her for an occasional week when her parents were out of town.   I treasure every moment with her and will miss the time we spend together when she reaches an age when she'd rather spend time with her friends, than with me. 

This is my feeling!   How I wish I had this “problem”.  My grandchildren live more than 1000 miles away and I see them perhaps 3 times/year for brief periods. 

Id love to have them nearby and have the kind of relationship I had with my grandma, who was always around and spent time with my siblings and me. 

I dont call spending time with grandchildren “babysitting”.  I call it bonding and with the right attitude, it’s of benefit to both sides.  

Honored Contributor

When my first granddaughter was born, my son and his wife lived with us. They just got out of the military and were saving to buy a house and look for jobs.

i worked a full time job and when I cam home from work, I somehow was responsible for her.  I had to put her in a carrier while I made dinner.

She was with me so much that everyone assumed that I was her mother.  We went on vacation for four weeks one summer and she was with us for three of those weeks.

When they finally got a house, my granddaughter was around three.  She cried for weeks  in her new home. She missed me.  By then, both parents were working and so was I.  I could not babysit while I was at work, so they paid for daycare.

My second granddaughter was born two years after the first to my daughter.  I was still working, but at watched her when I got home from work.  Both parents work until 9:30pm.

My third grandchild is a boy.  He is spoiled and doesn’t  listen.  He is quite the handful.  He sometimes  hits and is mean to others, especially his older sister. When he is with me, I make him behave.  I set boundaries  and he either behaves or he doesn’t get privileges.  My DIL does not like my style.  She gives in to him when he acts up.  My son tries to make him behave, but gives in to keep the peace.

i watch him when asked, but since his mother does not like the way he is treated by me “mean grandmother”  she only asks when she doesn’t have another sitter lined up.

These kids are now 15, 13 and 9.  I still watch the 13 year old after school most nights.  I also pick her up from school. She is a delight and no trouble...straight A student.

i only get the 15 and 9 year old kids when their parents are going out late or somewhere for all day. The boy does not behave at home and the 15 year old is not allowed to discipline him, so they can’t be trusted together alone for too long.

i also take all three together with me for long weekends and a couple of weeks during the summer months.  They all listen to me...even the boy.  He has learned that Grandma means business and he behaves for me now.  He requires a firm hand and sometimes my loud voice.

When they were little, I have to admit that I felt like I was taken advantage of...especially for the first granddaughter.  But as time went on, babysitting became easier and no problem. I just had to be with them, prepare food, etc.  but, they would entertain themselves. Plus, i didn’t get them as often since they were in school and had activities.

Everytime I am asked to watch them, I’ll say yes, unless I have  something else to do.  I have to say no when I can’t.

My family was good to me and watched my kids, so we pass the kindness on in my family.  

None of my grandkids have another set of grandparents to help out.  Two of them have a Grammy, but she lives in another state...and the 13 year old has one who lives close, but She is all about herself...long story.  My granddaughter doesn’t like to visit with her.

IMO, you should watch your granddaughters when you can.  If there is a reason why you can’t...for whatever reason, just politely say ”no sorry, I have other plans.” Or make arrangements to only have them say...for two days a week, whatever works for you.

You certainly deserve space and free time for yourself.   But watch them when it is convenient for you.

i never had grandparents, but all of my friends did.  I was so jealous of the close relationship they had. Everyone thought my parents were my grandparents.

I went to a funeral last week.  My DH’s first cousin died. He had 5 grandchildren...all older teenagers now.  My heart went out when I saw how they wept.  They were so heartbroken to lose their Pappy.

Again, I was a bit jealous of their close  relationship and wished I would have had grandparents.

i want the same for my grandkids.  Grandparents are very important members for children.

Sorry for the long post.

Esteemed Contributor

@Citrine1wrote:

I know how you feel @lovesrecess.  I am in a very similar situation as you.  Saying no, for me, is not an option.  My daughter doesn't ask me to babysit so she can go party -- she asks so she can work.  She is a single mom doing the best she can.  How can I say no to that?  But, at 61, I would like to feel as if my life is my own and that my husband and I could do some of the things we dreamed we'd do during our retirement years.  It's a dilema that I'm seeing more and more grandparents in.  

I am sorry you feel you don't get much time to yourself

and with  your husband......but i must say i admire you for

making the sacrafice.............i am sure your daughter appreciates it deeply....

Honored Contributor
Having a child who is a single parent is hard on everyone. Your daughter is so fortunate to have you there to help.
Esteemed Contributor

I’m not a grandmother yet but I have friends who are.A couple of them complain that their kids take advantage of them.

I don’t see a problem with babysitting if your life is taken  into consideration.Children who take advantage of their parents time need to be set straight!!

I have a friend who’s divorced & single.Her daughter thinks since she’s alone she should be available at all times.When she tries to tell her daughter she has plans she gets mad.She says her life is stressful & she needs her help!! My friend ends up giving in because she feels guilty.

I have another friend who loves her grandchildren dearly but will only watch them 2 or 3 times a month because she doesn’t want to give up her social life!! She also travels quite a bit & lets her son know in advance so he has time to make arrangements.

I think that boundaries must be set. There is no contradiction in spending time with your grandkids to help out their parents & living your own life. After spending years burdened with responsibilities you’re entitled to be carefree before old age sets in .

Everything in moderation!!