Esteemed Contributor

I felt like you when my Granddaughter was a Toddler......I felt so ired after taking care of her during the day!

Now she is in Kindergarten, I enjoy the time we have....we bake...make candy...do our nails...watch a movie.....

All of my friends' Grandkids live far away from them and they only see them a few times a year.......I am so hapy to spend time with mine..

Honored Contributor

I would charge them.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain

Yes, and I hate to see that.

Esteemed Contributor

Enjoy r the time with them, it goes fast.  At a certain age, they no longer know you.  Then when they hit their 30,s you become part of their life again.

I really enjoyed mine and would not change a,thing.  I even worked an 11 pm to 7 Am  shift in the ER after babysitting until 6pm, getting some sleep and going to work.  I had five at the time.  When they all got to be teens and I was retired, I never saw them except on holidays..  Now as a Great Grandmother of many, the Grandkids, in their 30,s, are in my life again, but I don,t babysit the GREATGRANDKIDS.  Just visits.  Enjoy them now

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess  What would you be doing if you didn't "have to" babysit?

Travel, a job...?

Honored Contributor

Re: Grandmother's dilemma

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecesswrote:

Any grandmothers here who are asked to babysit too often? Am feeling taken advantage of and it takes the joy out of being with my beautiful grand daughters. We are retired, but we want to also have a life of our own. Anyone else in this situation? 

*************  I think there is a lot of this going around today and many more grandparents than you think feeling this.  Being on call frequently or babysitting on a daily basis is not what makes a good grandparent.  Yes, we want to spend time with our grandchildren and build memories.  Yes, we love them very much.  God only knows how many thousands of pictures we have!  Yes, we can lend a helping hand but, imo, we have every right to say no when we feel it is too much or we have other things we want to pursue.  We are not the parents!

We spent the day with my Grandparents about every 2 weeks and we got to do overnights once in a while.  Occassionally they would drop by our house.  The time we did spend with them was quality....not quantity.  We were also with them on holidays and birthdays..Our relationship to them  remained deeply loving and devoted till their deaths.  I miss them so much.

The definition of an adult is someone who takes responsibility for  their own life. Parents today are afraid to say no to their kids and entitlement is becoming rampant because of it.  Share how you feel.  Let them know you are at a time in life where you need the freedom to come and go as you please.  A thoughtful adult child that has your best interest at heart  will be understanding of this.  If they are not then only you can decide whether to live in bondage to another person (or persons) or not.     

Honored Contributor

A lot depends on the individucal family. Some families are there for one another whether it's convenient or not. Doesn't matter whether it's time, help, or cash. The one in need is helped without having to ask. My family is like that but other families may not be. If one person, the grandmother, is always helping and her children never give back then no is the answer.

As to quality time, tell your employer that, tell your baby that, tell your spouse that. It's a nice sounding excuse for neglect. Quality time never has and never will replace quantity time. It can't make up for being there, being together.

Honored Contributor

I can only wish I'd be asked to babysit.  My grands live too far away and I see them only a few times a year.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed every minute of the time I spent with my grandchildren.  I was still working full time when they were little, but all of my girls and their children lived with me on and off for many years . . . or I lived with them.  I used to love it when I came home from work and they would run toward me, huge smiles on their faces, arms out . . . "Grandma, Grandma!"  And the hugs . . .

The youngest is 15 now and it's not the same.  I long for the days when my grandchildren were little . . . in fact, I long for the days when my own girls were little.  Happiest times of my life. 

I am an Earth Mother, always was, and will be to the end.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrainwrote:

A lot depends on the individucal family. Some families are there for one another whether it's convenient or not. Doesn't matter whether it's time, help, or cash. The one in need is helped without having to ask. My family is like that but other families may not be. If one person, the grandmother, is always helping and her children never give back then no is the answer.

As to quality time, tell your employer that, tell your baby that, tell your spouse that. It's a nice sounding excuse for neglect. Quality time never has and never will replace quantity time. It can't make up for being there, being together.

@occasionalrain

I love that!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986