Esteemed Contributor

I vote for a nice picture frame or coffee mug that says "Grandma"...or maybe both

Respected Contributor

If she will be living close y and see the baby often, I would give her a basket of must-haves: a colorful board book to begin showing the baby very soon, newborn diapers (or larger) Dreft spray to pretreat spilled formula or food, baby wipes, diaper cream, baby cornstarch powder, and a few toys. When grandbaby comes over for a visit, the mom doesn't have to pack a lot of stuff...grandma will already be well-stocked. A photo frame is nice, but I am also practical. 

Trusted Contributor

I was gifted a silver necklace with a hanging initial of the babies first name. I cherish it and wear it almost every time we get together. I know my granddaughter loves seeing it!

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

How about a box of Huggies so she can take care of things when she's babysitting?

They grow too fast to leave a box of diapers at Gandma's house.

My grandson was out of newborn in two weeks.

Two weeks ago he was here, wearing a size 2.  He was here this week and he's in size 3 already.

Honored Contributor

@turtle52 wrote:

There are wonderful grandma books.where you record family information and memories and later give it to your grandchild. I received one and it was a very thoughtful gift. 

It's one of my daughters prized possessions from my mother.

I'm working on one now for my grandson.  It's called Storyworth, an on-line version that will be printed and bound at the end of the year.

Super Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:

My friend is going to be a grandma for the first time. When the baby is born, I'd like to give my friend a gift. Any ideas on a good gift to give a grandma to be.  Thank you.

Books, books, and more books to keep at her home.  She can spend many happy hours reading to her grandchildren.