Honored Contributor

Re: Got scammed on EBay-beware!

@Tribesters

With PayPal you get 180 days to file a dispute (eBay sellers would not like for you to know this).

Dispute it on your cc too --- I believe you will get a quick credit to your account especially based on your discussion with eBay.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow!  How scary is that?  I shop on eBay quite often but I think I'll stay off of it for the most part from now on.  So far I've been lucky I guess.  Never had a real problem with any of the sellers except the latest one and he is making good on the error made in fulfilling my order.  So sorry this happened to you.

Esteemed Contributor

As long as you don't buy anything with a wire transfer.....you will get your money back from Paypal for something  like this. Just document everything .

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry about this.  Good thing you paid via PayPal.   Please use their dispute resolution procedure.

Valued Contributor

Meh, I guess it's all perspective.  I have bought $300 Le Creuset cookware from Ebay sellers, some of whom were just ordinary folks selling things they found in an attic or basement but never used and they don't even regularly sell things on ebay but have never had a bad experience with it.

Trusted Contributor

My Costco Citibank card got hacked a few days ago.  Seven transactions that were denied.  One was for $200 at Victoria's Secret.  I almost laughed on the phone talking to Citibank!  I'm almost 70 and I don't think I'd be purchasing at that store -- maybe 30 years ago or so.  Last month my husband's Citibank card was hacked and a friend of ours just got a new card because the old one was hacked and then the new one got hacked!  I've ordered a few items from Ebay and never had a problem.  Sorry you have to deal with this.  Ninety dollars is a lot of money.

Respected Contributor

I have shopped eBay a lot in the past, but not recently, so correct me if I am wrong.  I vaguely remember that PayPal was offering an option that allowed you to pay after your received the item.  I can't remember details, and didn't explore it further as I like to pay and get it over with.

Honored Contributor

I've been buying items from Ebay for years, just last week made a purchase, never a problem other odd packaging a time or two. 

For the poster who believes her information isn't online, it is, banks, businesses, utility companies...all conduct business online including their customer's information.

Honored Contributor

@Tribesters

I have never, will never buy any item online from a private seller that I cannot meet and see my intended item, before any financial transaction takes place. To me that has always seemed like a gamble, and I am not one that gambles with my hard earned money.

Hopefully your experience with this will have others be a bit more cautious when considering buying something in this way. Thank you for posting this to try to help others. My hope is there is an equitable solution for your problem.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I have been buying and selling on EBay for years and have only had one bad experience. A lot of the longtime sellers are as true and honest as the day is long. EBay has really become a buyers market, though. All the buyer has to do is say "item not as described" and not only will EBay force the seller to issue a refund, they will tell the buyer that they don't even have to return the item. EBay almost always sides with the buyer, so sellers sometimes really get burnt. EBay fees to the seller are the highest out there. EBay charges me 10% of my sale while Etsy charges 3%.  I'm not saying there aren't scammers out there - I know there are. It's just like people who leave bad reviews on a product more often than good. If they like the item, they are less likely to bother leaving a review.   

Deep In The Heart of Texas