Honored Contributor

Re: Got scammed on EBay-beware!

@Tribesters wrote:

@Q4u

Wow! That's scary about your account. I can't believe they would hack someone with recent activity. I figured it was just accounts that people hadn't used in a while.

I called PayPal about the problem but got transferred to eBay when asked if it was about an eBay transaction. I wanted to file a complaint with PayPal but it says online that if I do it will close my EBay dispute. It says to wait until the EBay dispute is resolved. The funny thing is EBay's the one that notified me the seller's account was hacked. The email they sent says to wait 3 days to see if the seller responds? Huh? When I talked to them on the phone they said I didn't have to do anything else. I haven't disputed the charge with my credit card yet because it sounded like the money would be refunded. I guess I'll give it a few more days & if I'm not refunded I'll dispute the charge.

Thanks, yes and it was in 2003 (I have been on eBay since 2000 with my original ID).  It was in 2003 that eBay disolved my original account and I literally started all over, lost my feedback too which was around 500 at the time.  But all lthis, buying on line and hacking was so relatively new.  The Chanels the hackers listed were not even real, just pictures to get people to buy and was coming from China, they weren't going to receive anything for their thousand dollars....  Woman Sad  But eBay has also put into place some safeguards about listing hundreds of high end designer goods.... and "new" sellers (getting an ID just to launch a fraud) can only list one or two at a time.  It's really a lot better now.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Tribesters  Looks like you did everything right and still got scammed. So sorry to hear that!☹️.  I have ordered off of eBay for many years like you and never would expect such a situation as yours. I guess you just have to figure there always is a scammer out their waiting to take advantage of honest people.  I will still order off of eBay, but, Maybe a good reason NOT to buy really expensive items.... $90 to me is a lot......I hope you get your money back.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

My reasons for buying on Ebay:

I like unique hard to find items.

I like buying from individuals and I get a sort of pleasure in trusting them. A pleasure when the item arrives often even better than I had expected and faster than any from the Q, better packaged too.

I like giving positive feedback especially to new sellers who need it.

I can't know why a person is a seller, could be they're downsizing, or maybe they really need the money. If it's a need for money, it's  worth risking a bit of money, even a couple hundred, to be of some help.

That's why I like ebay too!  I love finding "New Old Stock" items which are basically old merchandise which were never used by the seller and in many cases come in original packaging (that in itself has a fun factor).  Last year it was finding vintage acrylic blankets that they don't make anymore in a multitude of colors I didn't even know existed.   Lately, I have been scouring the ebay landscape for vintage CorningWare cookware and appliances and having a blast with it.   I hope the OP gets a resolution to this unfortunate experience on ebay.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I find better pictures of items -- especially purses.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Tribesters@Tribesters@MyGirlsMom@libbyannE@moon_gazer

When using PayPal

(which is like a bank to me because it simply exists to move your money)

I always choose "use a credit card" instead of deducting $ from our bank acct.

I told PayPal that we opt for this type of transaction in order to get the airline miles.

Me, too. Duh.

Frequent Contributor

@giddy up wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

My reasons for buying on Ebay:

I like unique hard to find items.

I like buying from individuals and I get a sort of pleasure in trusting them. A pleasure when the item arrives often even better than I had expected and faster than any from the Q, better packaged too.

I like giving positive feedback especially to new sellers who need it.

I can't know why a person is a seller, could be they're downsizing, or maybe they really need the money. If it's a need for money, it's  worth risking a bit of money, even a couple hundred, to be of some help.

That's why I like ebay too!  I love finding "New Old Stock" items which are basically old merchandise which were never used by the seller and in many cases come in original packaging (that in itself has a fun factor).  Last year it was finding vintage acrylic blankets that they don't make anymore in a multitude of colors I didn't even know existed.   Lately, I have been scouring the ebay landscape for vintage CorningWare cookware and appliances and having a blast with it.   I hope the OP gets a resolution to this unfortunate experience on ebay.

I agree @occasionalrain and @giddy up!

I'm a regular eBay customer. No problems. 😊