Trusted Contributor

I bought a $90 item on EBay. There were several auctions for the item I wanted. I reviewed the seller's feedback. I checked that they had been a member of EBay for over 16 years. I also made sure the item said it was shipping from the US. So I did the "buy it now" feature and thankfully used Pay Pal to complete my purchase.

Fast forward a few days & I still hadn't received any info from the seller. Item wasn't marked shipped & no tracking # was available. I emailed asking for a tracking #. A short time later I received an email from EBay saying the item was marked shipped by Priority Mail. I again asked for tracking #. Long story short I received an email from EBay saying that the seller's account had been hacked & not to respond to any emails from the seller. They then said if I had sent money or merchandise to try & get it back. They also suggested contacting the police or postal inspectors. No mention of a refund. I ended up calling Pay Pal & Ebay. There is a dispute opened so hopefully I get my money back. I guess I can also dispute the charge on my credit card.

So a warning to everyone- be careful on EBay! Checking feedback & profiles isn't enough anymore. I would recommend using Pay Pal & paying with a credit card. Also if you have an EBay account don't fall for a phishing scam & follow links in an email to reset your password or anything. That's probably how they hack into your account & next thing you know you're the one fraudulently buying and selling things. I imagine that would be a mess to get straightened out! 

I'm really not sure I'll buy or sell anything on EBay again...

Honored Contributor

Re: Got scammed on EBay-beware!

Never ever have desired shopping from Ebay! No way. So sorry for what you went through. I never put my information online. Actually! Never shop from online stores. Hacking taking place every day.
Valued Contributor

Sorry that happened to you.  I guess there is nothing you can do when someone's account is hacked..   I would think, however, if they hacked their PayPal account which is the only way they could get the $$$ then PayPal should be responsible just as when a credit card is hacked.

Good luck

Esteemed Contributor

That is terrible.  It's a shame crooks make shopping a dangerous game.  Even though you have informed Ebay and Paypal, I urge you to contact USPS inspectors and your local police (who may direct you to the Feds).  This is grand larceny, and official law enforcement agencies need reports from victims to build a case to go after these online crooks.

Honored Contributor

I think the most expensive thing I've ever purchased from eBay was about $25.00.  Mercifully, I've only lost out on one thing, a magazine subscription back when they used to allow magazine subscriptions.  As a result of a lot of magazine subscription scams they had to change the rules because with a magazine, it takes 6-8 weeks to receive, long after the dispute options have passed for both eBay and PayPal.

Hopefully, PayPal or your credit card will refund your money.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

That is terrible.  It's a shame crooks make shopping a dangerous game.  Even though you have informed Ebay and Paypal, I urge you to contact USPS inspectors and your local police (who may direct you to the Feds).  This is grand larceny, and official law enforcement agencies need reports from victims to build a case to go after these online crooks.

The amount of money determining grand larceny varies by state, from $250 to $1000 with most states $500+. The OP states they paid $90 so no, not grand larceny.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35, another sad fact is these mail and online crooks love the small dollar amount victims because those victims tend to be less likely to report the incident to the police and postal authorities.  Some of these small dollar thefts victims tend to wave off have netted the thieves grosses in the thousands.  It can't be stated enough that no matter how little the amount may be, it is imperative to be counted in the legal system as a known victim of cyber/mail fraud.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Tribesters, I am so very sorry this happened to you.  Thanks for advising us.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde, I know grand larceny applies only if the theft is in excess of a high dollar amount. Your post to me crossed with my explanation of how these small dollar thefts can lead to an investigation to try build a case for a charge of grand larceny.

Respected Contributor

Happened to me twice years ago and I never bought anything from eBay again and never will..........